US: Toyota settles damages lawsuit
Toyota has agreed to settle a damages lawsuit for a class-action over injuries and deaths linked to unintended sudden vehicle acceleration, the carmaker said.
The automaker did not disclose how much it would pay for the settlement of the lawsuit filed by family members of two people killed an accident in Utah in November 2010 said to have been caused by the sudden acceleration of a Camry sedan.
It was claimed that the sudden acceleration was caused by an electronic control system glitch. It is understood Toyota decided to settle the case without admitting the alleged flaw in order to prevent its brand image from being tainted by a prolonged court battle.
The carmaker settled a class action lawsuit in the US last November filed by its shareholders seeking damages payments for their losses from a Toyota stock sell-off due to massive vehicle recalls.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
Vehicle sales in Thailand are expected to fall 9.5% to 1.3m vehicles this year, according to Toyota's local unit which added that sales were returning to normal after a surge sparked by a government s...
Mazda has confirmed that its first hybrid model [outside the US - ed] will be on sale within the year - but only in Japan as part of Mazda's strategy "to meet the needs of each separate market"....
Changes to the way vehicles are taxed in Australia could have wide reaching repercussions on new car sales, and especially those of locally made models, an industry group has warned....
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- Regulatory concerns grow in China
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The August harvest...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Volvo XC70
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- ZF's TRW plans hit a Bosch hitch - report
- Serious concern on Russia auto sanction rumours
- Volvo Cars hails new engineering architecture
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times