US: Toyota settles damages lawsuit
Toyota has agreed to settle a damages lawsuit for a class-action over injuries and deaths linked to unintended sudden vehicle acceleration, the carmaker said.
The automaker did not disclose how much it would pay for the settlement of the lawsuit filed by family members of two people killed an accident in Utah in November 2010 said to have been caused by the sudden acceleration of a Camry sedan.
It was claimed that the sudden acceleration was caused by an electronic control system glitch. It is understood Toyota decided to settle the case without admitting the alleged flaw in order to prevent its brand image from being tainted by a prolonged court battle.
The carmaker settled a class action lawsuit in the US last November filed by its shareholders seeking damages payments for their losses from a Toyota stock sell-off due to massive vehicle recalls.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
Vehicle sales in Thailand are expected to fall 9.5% to 1.3m vehicles this year, according to Toyota's local unit which added that sales were returning to normal after a surge sparked by a government s...
Mazda has confirmed that its first hybrid model [outside the US - ed] will be on sale within the year - but only in Japan as part of Mazda's strategy "to meet the needs of each separate market"....
Changes to the way vehicles are taxed in Australia could have wide reaching repercussions on new car sales, and especially those of locally made models, an industry group has warned....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: All eyes on Vienna
- ANALYSIS: Opel-Vauxhall and Buick's shared future
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Volkswagen Polo 1.2 TSI
- INTERVIEW: Alain Uyttenhoven, Head of Lexus Europe
- PLDB Future Models - LA & Guangzhou shows insights
- 2014 GUANGZHOU SHOW: World premieres list
- BMW tests Google Glass eyewear for quality checks
- Opel/Vauxhall to produce new SUV at Rüsselsheim
- JLR announces new connectivity platform/app
- 2014 LA SHOW: World debuts list [final version]