JAPAN: Toyota paints bleak 2013 forecast
Toyota expects its vehicle sales in Japan to fall by over 18% year on year to 1.36m units in 2013, from an estimated 1.67m in 2012, according to local reports.
This very bleak internal sales forecast by the country’s leading car brand paints a gloomy outlook for Japan’s broader vehicle market next year.
Vehicle sales have already begun to weaken after the end in September of the government’s 12 month incentive programme which helped drive sales of fuel-efficient cars in the first nine months of this year.
Sales this year have also been boosted by an order backlog following last year’s earthquake and tsunami.
The country entered its second economic recession in as many years in the third quarter with the strong yen heavily hitting corporate earnings and capital expenditure.
Toyota, along with other Japanese auto manufacturers, is also suffering from a huge backlash following a territorial dispute between China and Japan which flared up in August. Japanese vehicle sales in mainland China, the world’s largest vehicle market, have since falling by over 50%.
The UK market looked strong in May while Toyota's UK plant, clobbered by the 2008 recession, is now claimed to be back at capacity, following the start of production of the Auris Touring Sports or, to...
Toyota Motor will exempt factory workers with preschool children from the night shift, beginning in September, to help them balance work and child rearing, media reports said....
The Toyota Motor Europe (TME) UK plant in Burnaston has started production of the Auris Touring Sports [wagon]....
Toyota wants to become the first automaker in the world to break through the 10m vehicle production barrier this year....
The Indonesian government announced its long awaited incentives for small cars, following the issue of a presidential decree earlier this week which was quickly put into legislation....
Toyota Motor Sales has announced a "voluntary safety recall" of about 87,000 2010 Toyota Prius and Lexus HS 250h vehicles as part of a global recall of 240,000 units built in 2009....
Toyota was the top selling brand in Australia in May 2013 and also had the top two selling models: Hilux and Corolla....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- ZF UK axle factory marks 10 years of JLR supply
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report