INDONESIA: Toyota opens new plant in Indonesia
Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indonesia (TMMI) started up operations at its new USD340 million assembly plant in Karawang in West Java in mid-March, producing the Etios Valco 1.2L small hatch-back.
TMMI is 95% owned by Japan’s Toyota Motor and 5% by local distributor PT Astra International, which control’s the brand’s distributor Toyota Astra Motor (TAM).
The inauguration ceremony last week was attended by Indonesian Industry Minister M S Hidayat, Japan’s Ambassador to Indonesia Yoshinori Katori, Toyota Motor CEO Takahiro Iwase and Toyota Astra Motor’s president-director Johnny Darmawan.
The plant has an initial output capacity of 70,000 units per year with 1,100 workers, but his will rise to 140,000 next year when a second shift will be introduced and new models added to the line-up.
Toyota’s existing plant, also in Karawang, has the capacity to produce 110,000 units per year. It makes the Innova mid-sized MPV and the Fortuner SUV. The company’s total output capacity therefore will rise to 250,000 units per year in 2014, from the current 180,000.
Toyota sold more than 406,000 vehicles in Indonesia last year, according to data released by industry association Gaikindo, most of which sourced from Astra Daihatsu Motor – a joint venture between Japan’s Daihatsu Motor and Astra International.
Far away from all the usual biannual September hype emanating from the Messe in Frankfurt, those of us back at the ranch have been keeping an eye on another mess - ongoing industrial strife in South A...
Two suppliers of air conditioner compressors to the automotive industry are teaming up to expand operations in northeast Georgia, a venture that will create 120 jobs, the companies announced....
Toyota said it has received around 22,000 orders for its Corolla hybrid models since they were launched in Japan last month, ahead of expectations of 2,500 per month....
Volkswagen may launch commercial vehicles in the United States in future, as part of steps to expand its core brand in the world's second largest vehicle market....
Increased electrification of the car is inevitable, but it will be two or three decades before we start to see the demise of the internal combustion engine, said the man responsible for research at Da...
Toyota Motor expects profits at its European business to improve in its current financial year from the EUR246m (US$326m) it posted last year, Didier Leroy, President of Toyota Motor Europe, told Reut...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Bentley Continental GT V8 S
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (1)
- Special management briefing: Paris reflections (2)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Ford Mondeo redesigned for 2015
- JLR looks to increase home supply content
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Japan's carmakers bring home foreign-made models
- Toyota recalls 1.75m for brake and fuel checks
- GM sued for $10bn over losses on 27m recalled cars
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Supercapacitor / Ultracapacitor Interviews, Strategies, Road Map 2014-2025
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029