JAPAN: Toyota hits number one
Toyota has reclaimed the world number one spot for vehicle sales as Japan’s big three carmakers set new production records in 2012.
Toyota said it overtook General Motors and Volkswagen last year as combined global automobile sales by the company and two units - Daihatsu and Hino - jumped 22.6% from the previous year to 9,747,762.
According to earlier announcements, GM totalled 9.29m units in 2012, up 3%, while VW recorded 9.07m sales, up 11 %.
North America and emerging markets accounting for much of the sales success for Toyota in 2012 while, in Japan, the group boosted sales thanks to the government's subsidy programme for eco-friendly vehicles.
Toyota slipped to third place in 2011 as production and the supply chain were hit by the earthquake and tsunami in Japan and floods in Thailand.
Japan's top three automakers hit new global production highs in 2012 due to increased demand in North America and Southeast Asian countries.
Toyota produced 8.74m vehicles last year, up 26.1% over 2011 with output in North America up 42.7% to 1.72m units.
Nissan production rose by 5.5% to 4.89m with overseas production up 6.3% to 3.74 m - a record high for a calendar year.
Honda's global output increased 41.3% to 4.11m with production rising in North America thanks to strong sales of its CR-V SUV and the Civic.
All three also reported an increase in domestic sales while exports climbed 24% to 1.95m units at Toyota although Nissan’s decreased 5.8% to 674,580 and Honda's fell 8.7% to 214,562.
Quarterly results season is with is again with some passable numbers from the biggies already in and more to come. As usual, we have grouped the coverage together in one handy spot....
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
The Toyota group sold 4.91m units in the first half of 2013, making it the world's top car seller in the period for the second straight year....
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Drowsiness Monitors in US$ Million. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, and Rest of World....
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- COMMENT: Russian auto jitters in Crimea poker
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- Jaguar recruits Beckham as China brand ambassador
- Ukraine crisis sparks Russia 'downward pressures'
- Tata mulls platform collaboration with Chery
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028