JAPAN: Toyota hits 1m hybrids a year goal
Toyota has sold over 1m hybrid vehicles in a year for the first time.
The landmark sale came during October and the figure rose to 1,028,900 by the end of the month.
Sales of Toyota’s hybrids this year rose 63.6% over last year’s total of 628,989 and accounted for 14% of Toyota's global sales in the first 10 months of the year.
The milestone fulfils Toyota's long-standing pledge to achieve 1m hybrid sales a year as early as possible this decade. Almost three-quarters of the hybrids sold this year were Prius models, including the third-generation hatchback, c city car and seven-seat v.
The total also includes Camry, Auris and Yaris hybrids as well as the Lexus CT200h, RX450h and GS450h.
Since the first Prius went on sale in Japan in 1997, Toyota has sold 4.6m hybrids around the world, over 2m in Japan and almost 2.6m in other markets.
Toyota in Japan has calculated that its worldwide sales of hybrid vehicles have led to approximately 30m fewer tons of CO2 being emitted compared with petrol-powered vehicles of similar size and driving performance.
On the same basis, the company calculates those vehicles have saved approximately 11m litres of petrol.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
New Zealand's new commercial vehicle registrations of 2,235 units was the best April result since 1982 when 2,754 were sold, according to the new vehicle trade group....
Mikuni Corporation and Eberspaecher Climate Control Systems have signed a joint venture agreement. Newly established Eberspaecher Mikuni Climate Control Systems Corporation headquartered in Odawara wi...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Panamera 4S
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Renault EOLAB concept
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Bosch taking over EPS JV with ZF
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review