THAILAND: Toyota expects 2013 sales to fall
Thai car sales could fall 16% in 2013 following a record last year when the industry was bolstered by government subsidies for first car buyers.
This would see a decline to 1.2m from 1.43m vehicles.
Kyoichi Tanada, president of Toyota’s Thai unit, told a news conference that he expects his company’s 2013 sales to fall 3% to 500,000 units. However, Thailand is a big export hub for the carmaker - it aims for shipments of 412,000 vehicles worth THB168bn this year, plus THB70bn of auto parts.
In 2012, Toyota auto sales jumped 78% to 516,086 vehicles, with passenger cars up 62.8 percent.
Toyota plans to invest US$404m in a second Thai plant at the Gateway industrial park to produce environment friendly cars as well as more for export. The plant is expected to be completed in the middle of this year, boosting output to 300,000 units a year from 220,000.
Vice chairman Ninnart Chaithirapinyo said risks to exports included a stronger Thai baht, caused by capital inflows, and economic problems in the US and Europe.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
Vehicle sales in Thailand are expected to fall 9.5% to 1.3m vehicles this year, according to Toyota's local unit which added that sales were returning to normal after a surge sparked by a government s...
Mazda has confirmed that its first hybrid model [outside the US - ed] will be on sale within the year - but only in Japan as part of Mazda's strategy "to meet the needs of each separate market"....
Changes to the way vehicles are taxed in Australia could have wide reaching repercussions on new car sales, and especially those of locally made models, an industry group has warned....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Range Rover Hybrid
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- Geneva show debuts list updated
- BMW 2 Series Convertible launched
- No Mexico-Brazil agreement on new auto pact
- Volkswagen aims to triple MQB output
- Ford to manufacture over 700,000 engines at Lima
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update