THAILAND: Toyota expects 2013 sales to fall
Thai car sales could fall 16% in 2013 following a record last year when the industry was bolstered by government subsidies for first car buyers.
This would see a decline to 1.2m from 1.43m vehicles.
Kyoichi Tanada, president of Toyota’s Thai unit, told a news conference that he expects his company’s 2013 sales to fall 3% to 500,000 units. However, Thailand is a big export hub for the carmaker - it aims for shipments of 412,000 vehicles worth THB168bn this year, plus THB70bn of auto parts.
In 2012, Toyota auto sales jumped 78% to 516,086 vehicles, with passenger cars up 62.8 percent.
Toyota plans to invest US$404m in a second Thai plant at the Gateway industrial park to produce environment friendly cars as well as more for export. The plant is expected to be completed in the middle of this year, boosting output to 300,000 units a year from 220,000.
Vice chairman Ninnart Chaithirapinyo said risks to exports included a stronger Thai baht, caused by capital inflows, and economic problems in the US and Europe.
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - SWOT, Strategy and Corporate Finance Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis,...
Toyota Tsusho Corporation - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and servic...
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
Datamonitor's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organ...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018