BELGIUM: Toyota Europe delivers 400,000th hybrid
The milestone 400,000th hybrid is a company car in Belgium, where Toyota Europe is based
Toyota has delivered its 400,000th hybrid in Europe. The milestone car was a UK-built Auris handed over to Valentine Nkwocha in Anderlecht, Belgium, as a company car from his employer CTG, an IT-consultancy. The company recently ordered over 20 Auris Hybrids for its junior consultants.
Toyota's first hybrid sold in Europe was the first generation Prius (sedan) in 2000. Two hatchback Prius generations have followed and, in 2010, the Auris, produced in Burnaston, England, joined the line. The French-built Yaris hybrid is due on sale later this year.
Toyota, which also sells Lexus GS sedan and RX SUV hybrid models, said 10% of sales in Europe last year were hybrids.
World-wide, the automaker has now sold over 3.5m hybrids since the first Prius went on sale in Japan in 1997.
Toyota claims this represents a reduction of over 23m tons of CO2 emissions.
In Europe, the new seven-seater Toyota Prius+ and a plug-in version of the current five-seat hatchback also go on sale this year; the Prius C (Aqua in Japan) is not coming to Europe as it would compete with the (Europe-only) Auris hybrid.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
An updated list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared at the Paris motor show's 27 & 28 September press preview days....
Toyota is close to an agreement to purchase light commercial vans from PSA Peugeot Citroen's threatened Sevelnord plant in northern France, La Tribune has reported....
Honda Motor is ramping up production in the US and expects to double exports from the country to 200,000 in the next few years....
Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association chairman Akio Toyoda has urged the Japanese government to review automobile-related taxes to help stimulate the domestic market....
Honda Malaysia has held a groundbreaking ceremony to mark the start of construction of its second car production line at the existing auto plant in Malacca, Malaysia....
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- ANALYSIS: Europe's car market in 2014, and 2015
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Weather dashes Hoegh tow but heavy list reducing
- Salvers look to slash Hoegh list to 5° for tow
- Toyota puts the brakes on sales expectations
- Hoegh Osaka due back in Southampton at 17:00 GMT
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029