UK: Tata Motors' Jaguar adding another 1,100 jobs
Another 1,100 jobs are opening up in the UK auto industry.
Tata Motors' Jaguar said on Wednesday it was hiring the workers for its Castle Bromwich plant west of Birmingham to cope with new models such as the XF Sportbrake (wagon) and re-engined XF and XJ models as well as the upcoming F-type sportster.
CEO Ralf Speth said: Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover CEO, said: “These new models will attract new customers to the brand as we look to expand our global reach and further enhance our position in the market.”
Jaguar Land Rover has added 8,000 jobs in two years. Earlier this year, it took on 1,000 at its Halewood plant, near Liverpool, which makes the Freelander (about to get another major update) and Evoque.
Those 1,000 openings drew 35,000 applicants.
Jaguar first half sales were up around 19% to 29,000 vehicles.
- 1100 new jobs created to build new Jaguar models – including the new XF Sportbrake – at its Castle Bromwich manufacturing plant in the West Midlands
Coventry, UK. Jaguar Land Rover (JLR), the UK's largest automotive design, engineering and manufacturing employer, will expand its workforce at its advanced manufacturing facility in Castle Bromwich to support the launch of new Jaguar models.
More than 1,100 new jobs are being created, and a recruitment campaign for production operators is being launched today.
Dr Ralf Speth, Jaguar Land Rover CEO, said: “Innovation in design, engineering and technology is at the core of our business and for the UK, this means we will continue to invest in new products, develop new technologies and enhance the skills of our employees.
“The launch of our latest Jaguar models, including the new XF Sportbrake later this year, means it is a very exciting time for Jaguar. These new models will attract new customers to the brand as we look to expand our global reach and further enhance our position in the market.”
Commenting on the new jobs, Des Thurlby, HR Director at JLR said: "We have embarked on the most ambitious recruitment campaign in the company’s history, hiring 8,000 people in the last two years. We provide high quality training and development for all of our employees so this latest announcement for 1,100 jobs is great news for the West Midlands and the UK supply chain.”
JLR anticipates that the launch of these new Jaguar models will also support thousands of jobs in the UK supply chain.
Business Secretary Vince Cable, said: “This is fantastic news for Castle Bromwich that Jaguar Land Rover is creating more than 1,000 jobs to support the production of new models at the plant. This expansion is a clear demonstration of Jaguar Land Rover’s continuing commitment and investment in the UK.”
As part of JLR's ambition to deliver 40 significant product actions over the next five years, the Castle Bromwich plant will this year manufacture the new 2013 Model Year XF and XJ ranges which - through the introduction of new powertrains and transmissions - offer customers greater efficiency, technology and choice than ever before. The XF range will also see the addition of the XF Sportbrake derivative which, with a load capacity of up to 1675-litres, will be the most versatile Jaguar built to date.
In the first six months of the year, Jaguar has sold more than 29,000 vehicles globally, which is a 19 per cent increase against the same period last year. All of Jaguar’s key markets, including China, UK, USA and Europe, have delivered year on year sales improvements.
Individuals interested in applying for these and other current vacancies at Jaguar Land Rover should do so by visiting: www.jaguarlandrovercareers.com
Notes to editors:
- JLR’s advanced manufacturing facility at Castle Bromwich manufactures the Jaguar XF, XK and XJ models, and exports nearly 80 per cent of its production to 101 markets worldwide.
- As the UK’s largest automotive employer, JLR has a world class team of nearly 24,000 people.
- In the 2011/12 fiscal year, JLR achieved record profits of £1.5 billion, an increase of £392m when compared to the previous year.
- JLR is the largest investor in automotive R&D and engineering in the UK.
- JLR has two state of the art engineering and design facilities and three advanced manufacturing plants in the UK.
- JLR is the UK's largest automotive manufacturing business built around two iconic British car brands with wonderfully rich heritage and incredibly powerful consumer appeal and loyalty. Additionally, JLR is at the centre of the UK automotive industry’s drive to deliver technical innovation in all areas of vehicle development.
Original source: Via Newspress