MYANMAR: Suzuki to restart Carry LCV assembly
Suzuki Motor plans to resume vehicle production in Myanmar, formerly known as Burma, in May.
The company said it is investing US$7m to refurbish its existing assembly facility in the country's commercial capital Yangon.
The facility operated as joint venture between Suzuki and Myanmar's government between 1998-2010, albeit with very patchy production. Operations ceased in 2010 after the two partners failed to extend their initial contract and the facility was subsequently closed down.
Initial production will amount to 100 Carry mini commercial vehicles per month, employing 90 staff, for sale domestically.
The Myanmar government's recent progress towards greater openness and democratisation has brought in a number of early-stage foreign investors, including a number of Japanese firms, attracted by the country's long-term growth potential.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Japan's new vehicle sales in July, including minivehicles, fell 8% from a year earlier to 472,111 units, marking the third straight month of decline....
Suzuki Motor first quarter sales rose 4.8% year on year to JPY675.8bn as volume rose in Asia and Europe....
General Motors has dispelled concerns that it will shift Chevrolet production out of South Korea although it has delayed the launch of the revamped Aveo small car, according to labour unions....
Suzuki is to spend around JPY100bn (US$1.02bn) to add passenger car production in Indonesia....
Sales growth of 34% in the first half of this year has catapulted Suzuki into the UK top 20, ahead of Volvo and Mazda and nibbling at the heels of Renault....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029