US: Subaru may build more models in Indiana
Fuji Heavy Industries' Subaru is considering expanding its Lafayette, Indiana, car factory to meet rising demand and to increase US output to offset losses caused by the high yen.
Subaru's US chief operating officer Tom Doll told Bloomberg Radio "it becomes more difficult with production in Japan to import those vehicles into the United States. At some point a decision could be made to bring further production to the US."
The automaker has not yet decided to add Impreza cars or Forester crossovers alongside the Legacy and Outback built in Indiana. If this production is moved from Japan, a minimum of 50,000 units of capacity would be added.
Factory spokeswoman Jennifer McGarvey said Lafayette is expected to build a record 277,835 vehicles in 2012. Company spokesman Michael McHale said a decision was possible "within the next few months".
Doll said Subaru could "probably add a second full factory" as it owns sufficient land at the Indiana site. Rivals Toyota, Nissan, Honda and Mazda are all boosting North American capacity while VW's Audi plans a plant in Mexico.
Quarterly and other results to the thirty-oneth of March continued to dribble in this week so let's start by hoisting the Union Jack, drum roll, trumpet blast, and highlight Jaguar Land Rover's 11% fu...
The Saudi Arabia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and compet...
More read-it-and-weep news for struggling European rivals from Volkswagen group this week as it chalked up another little milestone - selling over 3m vehicles in the first four months of a year....
This report covers the full picture of how electric vehicles by land, water and air will be externally charged. They are hugely increasing in number - we give the forecasts by type - and most will hav...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global 4WD and AWD sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gai...
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- COMMENT: Russian auto jitters in Crimea poker
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- Jaguar recruits Beckham as China brand ambassador
- Ukraine crisis sparks Russia 'downward pressures'
- Tata mulls platform collaboration with Chery
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028