JAPAN: Subaru eyes big boost to US output by mid-decade
Subaru is hitting new sales records in the US market and considering a major expansion to its US output by the middle of the decade.
Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Fuji Heavy Industries, has said in an interview with Kyodo News that Subaru is planning to boost vehicle output in the US by 130,000 units a year to around 300,000 per annum as early as the business year starting April 2016. A final decision on the plan is expected by the end of this year.
The plan would entail increasing output at its existing plant in Indiana and the report said that it is in addition to an earlier announcement that Fuji Heavy will raise its production in the US by 30,000 units to 200,000 units by the summer of 2014.
Subaru of America Inc. is anticipating US sales of over 320,000 vehicles by year-end, Kyodo reported. It has already exceeded last year's 266,989 units, marking record sales for the fourth consecutive year.
“There is strong momentum in sales in the United States," Yoshinaga told Kyodo, adding, "They are likely to exceed 350,000 units in 2013."
Japanese carmakers are looking, where possible, to shift manufacturing activity overseas to offset the headwind provided by the high value of the yen.
Quarterly/fiscal full year results continued to roll in this week with a healthy uptick at Suzuki in 2012/3, the latest Japanese automaker to finally shrug off the combined effects of the double whamm...
New vehicle sales in the Philippines increased by 21% to 14,888 units in April, from 12,304 in the same month of last year, according to data released jointly by the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturer...
Vehicle sales growth and currency gains offset by new model launch expenses saw Subaru maker Fuji Heavy Industries boost operating income 173.9% to JPY120.4bn yen for the full year to 31 March, 2013....
Fuji Heavy Industries has announced the Subaru Impreza will be produced in its North American plant beginning in 2016....
Japan's major carmakers' combined domestic output in fiscal 2012 rose 2.9% over the previous year to 9,055,373 units, passing 9m for the first time in four years....
The government announcement about reducing credit interest rates came as Colombian new car sales fell 23% YTD though month on month sales in March rose 2.9% to 22,888 units, the best month in 2013 so ...
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- BMW launches smartphone wireless charging
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- BAIC Motor to acquire Daimler stake
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report