JAPAN: Subaru eyes big boost to US output by mid-decade
Subaru is hitting new sales records in the US market and considering a major expansion to its US output by the middle of the decade.
Yasuyuki Yoshinaga, president of Fuji Heavy Industries, has said in an interview with Kyodo News that Subaru is planning to boost vehicle output in the US by 130,000 units a year to around 300,000 per annum as early as the business year starting April 2016. A final decision on the plan is expected by the end of this year.
The plan would entail increasing output at its existing plant in Indiana and the report said that it is in addition to an earlier announcement that Fuji Heavy will raise its production in the US by 30,000 units to 200,000 units by the summer of 2014.
Subaru of America Inc. is anticipating US sales of over 320,000 vehicles by year-end, Kyodo reported. It has already exceeded last year's 266,989 units, marking record sales for the fourth consecutive year.
“There is strong momentum in sales in the United States," Yoshinaga told Kyodo, adding, "They are likely to exceed 350,000 units in 2013."
Japanese carmakers are looking, where possible, to shift manufacturing activity overseas to offset the headwind provided by the high value of the yen.
Quarterly/fiscal full year results continued to roll in this week with a healthy uptick at Suzuki in 2012/3, the latest Japanese automaker to finally shrug off the combined effects of the double whamm...
This report is intended for industrialists, investors, market researchers, legislators and others interested in the large new market now being created for batteries that propel hybrid and pure electri...
The analysts who wrote this report forecast the Global Automotive Transmission Systems market to grow at a CAGR of 5.1 percent over the period 2011-2015. One of the key factors contributing to this ma...
New vehicle sales in the Philippines increased by 21% to 14,888 units in April, from 12,304 in the same month of last year, according to data released jointly by the Chamber of Automotive Manufacturer...
Vehicle sales growth and currency gains offset by new model launch expenses saw Subaru maker Fuji Heavy Industries boost operating income 173.9% to JPY120.4bn yen for the full year to 31 March, 2013....
Fuji Heavy Industries has announced the Subaru Impreza will be produced in its North American plant beginning in 2016....
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (2)
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- [12:45BST update]: Nissan's Palmer named Aston CEO
- PARIS DEBUTS: Infiniti Q70 2.2d
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- CHENGDU SHOW: World premieres
- SWEDEN: Redesign moves XC90 up market in UK
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants