CHINA: Skoda to add imports to keep pace
Skoda plans to start imports to China next year through two possible distribution channels, according to management board member for sales and marketing Werner Eichhorn.
One way is via exclusive showrooms built by Volkswagen Group's imported vehicle sales division, alternatively sales could go through existing Shanghai VW dealerships.
The Czech brand currently assembles the Fabia, Octavia and Superb at the joint venture between VW and Shanghai-based SAIC and China has already become the biggest market worldwide for the Czech brand only five years after it started local production.
Sales of the three models in China passed 200,000 units in the first 10 months this year in China, about a quarter of its global delivery of nearly 800,000 units in the period.
To further tap the market potential, Skoda plans to begin imports to China, likely to include the Yeti SUV before its planned production at the joint venture begins, the Rapid and wagon versions of the Superb and Octavia.
Eichorn said: “Skoda is still in an early stage of its development in China, our next plans are to introduce more new models, enhance brand recognition and expand the sales and service network.
"We also expect to double production in China in the next few years," he added.
Eichhorn said that the slowing car market in China had not affected the company's expansion plans. According to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, China's passenger vehicle sales increased about 6.9% in the first 10 months to about 12.6m units.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Volkswagen's joint venture with Shanghai Automotive has broken ground for a 300,000-unit plant in Changsha in the province of Hunan, south-central China....
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Cayenne S E-Hybrid
- ASEAN vehicle market down almost 10% in 2014
- JLR recreates 1948 line for Defender plant tour
- Most cars unscathed by Osaka drama: ship owner
- Ford 2014 operating profit plunges $2.3bn
- GENEVA DEBUTS: VW Golf GTD estate
- "Bumps and dents" for some driveable Hoegh cars
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle HVAC market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029