CZECH REPUBLIC: Skoda spends EUR66m on Mlada Boleslav press line
The new servo press line PXL at Škoda's main plant in Mladá Boleslav
A new press line for Škoda's main Mlada Boleslav plant is claimed to be among the most modern and environmentally friendly of its kind in Europe.
Through energy recovery and storage, the servo press line is said to be up to 15% more efficient than older, comparable systems, while also being faster and more precise.
The new system includes several innovations compared to conventional presses. The most significant is the use of servo motors working in a decentralised fashion. Whereas a large motor once ensured the operation of an entire line, today 14 more efficient servo motors perform this task. Another benefit is extremely flexible adjustment of the individual processes along the PXL line.
There are benefits to changeover times too. These have been reduced from 14 minutes to only three. The handling of moulds sometimes weighing 60 tonnes is performed by an automated crane system. Furthermore, the new line is said to be easily maintained as it does not employ conventional components such as a flywheel and a clutch/brake module.
The Mladá Boleslav manufacturing complex recently began building a new generation of the Octavia hatchback, as well as the Škoda Rapid and SEAT Toledo twins. The Octavia Tour and the Fabia are also made at this plant, which is adjacent to the company's headquarters.
Author: Glenn Brooks
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle seating sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive door modules sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecas...
This report has been prepared based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. It covers the global automotive seat market landscape and its growth prospects in the coming years...
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- Regulatory concerns grow in China
- Emerging markets in trouble (1)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The August harvest...
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- Serious concern on Russia auto sanction rumours
- ZF's TRW plans hit a Bosch hitch - report
- Cadillac takes on Merc S Class
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times