CZECH REPUBLIC: Skoda spends EUR66m on Mlada Boleslav press line
The new servo press line PXL at Škoda's main plant in Mladá Boleslav
A new press line for Škoda's main Mlada Boleslav plant is claimed to be among the most modern and environmentally friendly of its kind in Europe.
Through energy recovery and storage, the servo press line is said to be up to 15% more efficient than older, comparable systems, while also being faster and more precise.
The new system includes several innovations compared to conventional presses. The most significant is the use of servo motors working in a decentralised fashion. Whereas a large motor once ensured the operation of an entire line, today 14 more efficient servo motors perform this task. Another benefit is extremely flexible adjustment of the individual processes along the PXL line.
There are benefits to changeover times too. These have been reduced from 14 minutes to only three. The handling of moulds sometimes weighing 60 tonnes is performed by an automated crane system. Furthermore, the new line is said to be easily maintained as it does not employ conventional components such as a flywheel and a clutch/brake module.
The Mladá Boleslav manufacturing complex recently began building a new generation of the Octavia hatchback, as well as the Škoda Rapid and SEAT Toledo twins. The Octavia Tour and the Fabia are also made at this plant, which is adjacent to the company's headquarters.
Author: Glenn Brooks
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle seating sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE automotive door modules sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecas...
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030