CANADA: Sales rise as confidence picks up
Vehicle sales in Canada rose 5.7% year on year in 2012 to 1.68m, the second highest tally on record, lifted by demand for European imports and well priced Korean models.
Analysts expect sales to continue to increase this year, nearing - or even exceeding - the record 1.7m set in 2002, due to remaining pent-up demand.
Ford sold 276,068 vehicles in Canada during 2012, just 90 more than in 2011, including over 100,000 F-Series which remained the best-selling vehicle line for the third year in a row.
Chrysler's sales rose 6% to 243,845, its best retail result since 2000, while General Motors slipped 6.6% to 226,825.
Although Detroit’s Big Three maintained their long-held lead in Canada, their share dipped to 44.5% from 47.2% in 2011 as sales of imported vehicles grew.
Toyota Canada said its sales rose 18.4% to 192,058 last year while combined Honda and Acura sales jumped 21% to 148,712. Honda's Civic retained its position as Canada's top-selling passenger car for a 15th year.
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
Urgent and concerted action needs to be taken to address the contentious issue of automotive over-capacity in Europe, but also in developing markets according to a study by KPMG....
Ford China's sales in the first half of 2013 soared 47% year on year to 407,721 units, driven by continued strong demand for the Focus, Kuga and Transit, the automaker said. June sales rose 44% to 75,...
Strong demand for trucks drove Canadian new vehicle sales overall higher in June though sales of passenger cars slipped compared with a year ago, data compiled by DesRosiers Automotive Consultants sho...
A spokesman for Dongfeng Motor has reportedly told a Chinese newspaper that the state-controlled firm has no comment to make over rumours of it buying into PSA Peugeot Citroën....
Chrysler will recall a total of 841,000 vehicles worldwide to fix a variety of mostly software or electronic control module problems....
Ford says it is developing a new form of manufacturing technology that has the potential to reduce costs and delivery time for sheet metal parts needed in smaller quantities....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- Baking Kias at 45C
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: Ford F-Series production soars
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: BMW plug-in 2AT added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market