VIETNAM: Sales jump 75% in January
New vehicle sales in Vietnam jumped by close to 75% to 7,363 units in January, from 4,217 units a year earlier, according to data released by the Vietnam Automotive Manufacturers Association.
The sharp improvement reflects more than anything weak year-earlier volume when sales were held back by the introduction of higher vehicle registration taxes and excise duties at the start of 2012. This encouraged many buyers to bring purchases forward into 2011 to avoid paying higher prices.
January’s market performance was more or less in line with last year’s monthly sales average. While central bank interest rates have come down significantly over the last 12 months, in line with falling inflation, the average vehicle buyer still struggles to obtain credit from banks.
Sales of passenger cars, MPVs and SUVs jumped by 85% to 4,845 units in January, from 2,618 a year earlier; while commercial vehicle sales rose by 56% to 2385 units, from 1,528. This does not include sales of Mercedes-Benz vehicles, which amounted to 133 units in January and which are reported independently by the German automaker.
Toyota led the market last month with 2,718 sales, an increase of 76% year-on-year; followed by Truong Hai, which assembles Kia cars and various commercial vehicles, with a 109% increase to 1,834 units. Ford leapt into third place after sales almost quadrupled to 690 units.
After being entertained for the last couple of weeks by Germany v France over Mercedes' choice of air conditioner refrigerant (colleague Simon Warburton has now learned so much about R134a v r1234yf h...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
The battle over air conditioning refrigerant between Mercedes-Benz and France (more or less repping the EU) continued this week with neither side showing signs of backing down....
The analysts writing this report forecast Global Automotive Head-up Display market to grow at a CAGR of 28.61 percent over the period 2012-2016....
This report has been prepared based on an in-depth analysis of the market landscape and its growth prospects in the coming years. Industry experts have contributed to the content. It also includes a d...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The analysts forecast that the Compressed Natural Gas Vehicle market in Latin America 2011-2015 will reach 6.8 million units by 2015. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the c...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: World premieres
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028