VIETNAM: Sales hit by high interest and currency exchange rates
Car sales dropped 37% from a year earlier to 17,891 vehicles in the first quarter of this year according to the Vietnam Association of Automobile Manufacturers (VAMA).
The market struggled because of falling demand for SUVs, MPVs and crossover models which fell 49% on year to 3,335 units. Sales of passenger and commercial vehicles were down 40.8% and 30% to 5,657 units and 8,510 units, respectively.
Local carmakers sold 7,525 vehicles during the month, down 21% against March last year but up 22% from February. Truong Hai Auto overtook Toyota to become the biggest seller during the month, with 2,788 vehicles sold, up 49% month on month. Toyota sold 2,069 units, up 12%.
Local car manufacturers all reported decreases in car sales between January and March, with the lowest fall of 13% at privately-owned Vinaxuki.
Falling vehicles sales are attributed to unfavourable foreign exchange rate movements, high interest and difficult access to bank loans. VAMA believes car sales could fall 20% this year, as a result of high registration cost and many other fees. The association has called for the delay of collecting traffic fees recently proposed by the ministry of transport.
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
The strike at Toyota's Durban plant has ended after management and workers agreed on a 5.7% pay rise, according to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa....
Light vehicle sales in Canada rose 6.4% last month from a year ago, boosted by strong performances by Toyota and Honda, who earlier this week also reported big rises in US sales for the month....
An illegal strike has halted production at Toyota's Prospecton plant in Durban since Monday afternoon, the company confirmed....
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Toyota's FCV cometh
- VA: Minnow Mitsubishi not short on L200 claims
- Kia UK MD on how to raise brand pricing
- Q&A: Kia MD sees 100,000 sales in UK
- JCI confirms auto exit as supplier eddies swirl
- Mitsubishi ending US production
- FCA to recall 1,060,531 Ram trucks
- Fiat Chrysler cops record penalty from NHTSA
- FRANKFURT DEBUTS LIST: Ferrari 488 Spider added
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030