VIETNAM: Sales hit by high interest and currency exchange rates
Car sales dropped 37% from a year earlier to 17,891 vehicles in the first quarter of this year according to the Vietnam Association of Automobile Manufacturers (VAMA).
The market struggled because of falling demand for SUVs, MPVs and crossover models which fell 49% on year to 3,335 units. Sales of passenger and commercial vehicles were down 40.8% and 30% to 5,657 units and 8,510 units, respectively.
Local carmakers sold 7,525 vehicles during the month, down 21% against March last year but up 22% from February. Truong Hai Auto overtook Toyota to become the biggest seller during the month, with 2,788 vehicles sold, up 49% month on month. Toyota sold 2,069 units, up 12%.
Local car manufacturers all reported decreases in car sales between January and March, with the lowest fall of 13% at privately-owned Vinaxuki.
Falling vehicles sales are attributed to unfavourable foreign exchange rate movements, high interest and difficult access to bank loans. VAMA believes car sales could fall 20% this year, as a result of high registration cost and many other fees. The association has called for the delay of collecting traffic fees recently proposed by the ministry of transport.
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
The strike at Toyota's Durban plant has ended after management and workers agreed on a 5.7% pay rise, according to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa....
Light vehicle sales in Canada rose 6.4% last month from a year ago, boosted by strong performances by Toyota and Honda, who earlier this week also reported big rises in US sales for the month....
An illegal strike has halted production at Toyota's Prospecton plant in Durban since Monday afternoon, the company confirmed....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018