VIETNAM: Sales hit by high interest and currency exchange rates
Car sales dropped 37% from a year earlier to 17,891 vehicles in the first quarter of this year according to the Vietnam Association of Automobile Manufacturers (VAMA).
The market struggled because of falling demand for SUVs, MPVs and crossover models which fell 49% on year to 3,335 units. Sales of passenger and commercial vehicles were down 40.8% and 30% to 5,657 units and 8,510 units, respectively.
Local carmakers sold 7,525 vehicles during the month, down 21% against March last year but up 22% from February. Truong Hai Auto overtook Toyota to become the biggest seller during the month, with 2,788 vehicles sold, up 49% month on month. Toyota sold 2,069 units, up 12%.
Local car manufacturers all reported decreases in car sales between January and March, with the lowest fall of 13% at privately-owned Vinaxuki.
Falling vehicles sales are attributed to unfavourable foreign exchange rate movements, high interest and difficult access to bank loans. VAMA believes car sales could fall 20% this year, as a result of high registration cost and many other fees. The association has called for the delay of collecting traffic fees recently proposed by the ministry of transport.
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
The strike at Toyota's Durban plant has ended after management and workers agreed on a 5.7% pay rise, according to the National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa....
Light vehicle sales in Canada rose 6.4% last month from a year ago, boosted by strong performances by Toyota and Honda, who earlier this week also reported big rises in US sales for the month....
An illegal strike has halted production at Toyota's Prospecton plant in Durban since Monday afternoon, the company confirmed....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- INTERVIEW: Ford Europe COO Barb Samardzich
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018