TURKEY: Renault pulls plug on Fluence Z.E.
The Z.E. was 13cm longer than other Fluence sedans, as the (250kg) battery pack was located in a special space behind the rear seats
Barely two years after it began building the electric version of the Fluence sedan, Renault has quietly ceased doing so, a company spokesman has told just-auto.com.
Production of this plug-in C segment sedan took place at OYAK-Renault's plant in the Turkish city of Bursa. The Fluence Z.E. went down the same line as combustion engine Fluences, which continue to be made.
While sales in European markets were small, this was not the only reason for the end of the plug-in Fluence. Renault designed the car primarily for the Israeli and Danish markets and had high hopes for its partnership with Better Place. The Silicon Valley-based firm was contracted to install national networks of quick-change battery swap stations as well as fast-charging posts. Better Place declared bankruptcy in May 2013 having completed the installation of far fewer recharging places than had originally been envisaged.
Production of the electric Fluence ceased in mid-November, Renault's spokesman told just-auto, but the car will live on. Production of a slightly modified variant by RSM continues. Renault Samsung revealed a Fluence Z.E. with a new front end at the Busan motor show in May 2012, and this model, the Samsung SM3 Z.E., has been built at RSM's Busan plant since October 2013.
Author: Glenn Brooks
PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
PLDB from just-auto.com is a cost effective, vehicle cycle plan database, showing the production life of all major current and future vehicle models produced (or to be produced) globally by all brands...read more
Renault SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Renault S.A. (RNO) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalDa...
Project Synopsis: MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth act......
- ANALYSIS: Hyundai axes Veloster, goes after Toyota
- Review of 2014 (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Bleak Christmas ahead for some
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 2
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 1
- Ford union to block "even a screwdriver" at Genk
- JLR research removes blind spots
- Genk mayor organises "loudest shift" as Ford exits
- NHTSA lists Ford, Jaguar and Porsche recalls
- Bye, Chrysler, hello FCA US
- Global light diesel vehicles market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029