TURKEY: Renault pulls plug on Fluence Z.E.
The Z.E. was 13cm longer than other Fluence sedans, as the (250kg) battery pack was located in a special space behind the rear seats
Barely two years after it began building the electric version of the Fluence sedan, Renault has quietly ceased doing so, a company spokesman has told just-auto.com.
Production of this plug-in C segment sedan took place at OYAK-Renault's plant in the Turkish city of Bursa. The Fluence Z.E. went down the same line as combustion engine Fluences, which continue to be made.
While sales in European markets were small, this was not the only reason for the end of the plug-in Fluence. Renault designed the car primarily for the Israeli and Danish markets and had high hopes for its partnership with Better Place. The Silicon Valley-based firm was contracted to install national networks of quick-change battery swap stations as well as fast-charging posts. Better Place declared bankruptcy in May 2013 having completed the installation of far fewer recharging places than had originally been envisaged.
Production of the electric Fluence ceased in mid-November, Renault's spokesman told just-auto, but the car will live on. Production of a slightly modified variant by RSM continues. Renault Samsung revealed a Fluence Z.E. with a new front end at the Busan motor show in May 2012, and this model, the Samsung SM3 Z.E., has been built at RSM's Busan plant since October 2013.
Author: Glenn Brooks
PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
PLDB from just-auto.com is a cost effective, vehicle cycle plan database, showing the production life of all major current and future vehicle models produced (or to be produced) globally by all brands...read more
Renault S.A. (RNO) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review provides you an in-depth strategic SWOT analysis of the company’s businesses and operations. The profile has been compiled by GlobalDa...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Renault SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- JLR recreates 1948 line for Defender plant tour
- Most cars unscathed by Osaka drama: ship owner
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Honda changes air bag supplier from Takata
- GENEVA DEBUTS: McLaren 675 Longtail
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle HVAC market- forecasts to 2029