The Z.E. was 13cm longer than other Fluence sedans, as the (250kg) battery pack was located in a special space behind the rear seats
Barely two years after it began building the electric version of the Fluence sedan, Renault has quietly ceased doing so, a company spokesman has told just-auto.com.
Production of this plug-in C segment sedan took place at OYAK-Renault's plant in the Turkish city of Bursa. The Fluence Z.E. went down the same line as combustion engine Fluences, which continue to be made.
While sales in European markets were small, this was not the only reason for the end of the plug-in Fluence. Renault designed the car primarily for the Israeli and Danish markets and had high hopes for its partnership with Better Place. The Silicon Valley-based firm was contracted to install national networks of quick-change battery swap stations as well as fast-charging posts. Better Place declared bankruptcy in May 2013 having completed the installation of far fewer recharging places than had originally been envisaged.
Production of the electric Fluence ceased in mid-November, Renault's spokesman told just-auto, but the car will live on. Production of a slightly modified variant by RSM continues. Renault Samsung revealed a Fluence Z.E. with a new front end at the Busan motor show in May 2012, and this model, the Samsung SM3 Z.E., has been built at RSM's Busan plant since October 2013.
Author: Glenn Brooks
PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
PLDB from just-auto.com is a cost effective, vehicle cycle plan database, showing the production life of all major current and future vehicle models produced (or to be produced) globally by all brands...read more
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
New Cars in Argentina industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The pro...
New Cars in Colombia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The prof...
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - Connecting cars in Canada
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Audi suspends two engineers over US diesel V6
- Volkswagen diesel recall in Europe will take year
- Toyota u-turns on Takata inflators in Japan
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030