SPAIN: Renault creates 1,300 jobs after unions agree productivity deal
Renault will give the Palencia plant the new platforms which cover four vehicle bodies in all, annual production of which will total up to 280,000 units.
During the 2014-2015 period, production at the engine and gearbox plants will rise to approach 1.3m to 1.4m units per year, although the company has laced this with the caveat, "assuming present-day market conditions".
The Valladolid body assembly plant, assigned with production of thw Twizy EV in the previous plan, along with launch-phase production of a small B-segment vehicle, will operate through the recent workforce negotiations.
An indication of the importance of the announcement in a country struggling to overcome its dire economic situation can be gauged by the attendance at the Palencia plant for the Renault announcement of the Spanish prime minister, the minister of industry and the president of the Castilla y León regional government.
"I want to thank all the Renault personnel and the union representatives, for today is an important day for the future of Renault in Spain," said Renault Spain chairman, José Vicente de los Mozos
"The sense of responsibility shown across the entire Renault workforce in our country brings welcome proof of the lasting key positions held by Renault's industrial sites in Spain, alongside those in France."
Unions in France are taking a keen interest in the situation across the border, having only recently opened a series of talks with Renault on future working practices and production in France.
I wouldn't have thought that, with the current state of play in the European auto industry, there'd be too much niggle in the union ranks. But we've reported on a bit this week....
A new Magneti Marelli Automotive Lighting plant has been opened in Foshan, Guangdong province, in southern China....
The first production unit of the Q50, Nissan luxury car unit Infiniti's new premium sports sedan has been built at the Tochigi plant....
Russia is unlikely to witness its previous exponential growth rate of 20% in the short-term, but it will nonetheless post substantially improved performance compared to Europe, says one automotive con...
After its best sales month to date in March and a 423.5% year on year increase in April, Nissan's Leaf EV has passed the 25,000 sales mark in the US....
Echoing a similar model-sharing deal with the Renault-Nissan alliance in Europe, General Motors is to rebadge Nissan's NV200 van to sell in the US and Canada as the Chevrolet City Express....
- Volkswagen counts the cost of 'dieselgate'
- THE WEEK - aftermarket player and new products
- ANALYSIS - Jaguar takes on Porsche with F-PACE
- Autumn facelift beckons for Citroen's Family hit
- TowerSec VP on automotive cyber security - Q&A
- Maserati to double Levante SUV output
- Magna to build aluminium casting facility in UK
- Ford says new Fusion hybrid has 610 miles of range
- just-auto takes a break
- Volkswagen nominates 55 FAST suppliers
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market - forecasts to 2030
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (12-month membership)
- Global light vehicle roof systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market - forecasts to 2030