CHINA: Renault CEO 'very optimistic' on Dongfeng joint venture talks
Renault says it is "very optimistic" in discussions with Chinese manufacturer, Dongfeng Motor Group concerning a potential joint venture, but is declining to reveal further details.
The French automaker has been in talks with Dongfeng following a memorandum of understanding [MoU] inked in March and although details are sketchy, including whether any joint venture could set up a $1bn factory in China, it appears the deal is being discussed at the very highest level.
"Things are going along just as planned and [CEO] Carlos Ghosn is very optimistic," a Renault spokeswoman told just-auto from Paris. "We can't comment on any of the figures - it is just speculation from anonymous sources.
"Negotiations are on-going - we can't communicate on any of the articles in the press because we are bound to confidentiality. We signed an MoU at Dongfeng last March ahead of the Beijing Auto Show and we said we planned to arrive at a final agreement at the end of the year, but it could be sooner or later than that."
Dongfeng Motor is China's second largest automaker in terms of sales and has a joint venture with Nissan.
Renault sales in China last year were 24,000 units.
Vehicle assembly in Colombia began in 1956 when the government signed an agreement to build Austin trucks locally. Colombian entrepreneurs soon saw the opportunity to invest in technology to be part o...
Trucks in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descr...
After announcing an after-tax operating loss of A$141m for the 2012 financial year, following a A$290m loss in 2011, Ford has finally thrown in the manufacturing towel in Australia and will close its ...
Trucks in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descriptions...
Nissan is recalling over 800,000 Cube/Micra models because of a faulty steering wheel....
Light Trucks in China industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descri...
Continental has developed a new Multimedia Radio Navigation (MRN) System for the PSA Peugeot Citroën Group in China....
Deliveries from the Volvo group's truck operations in April 2013 amounted to 16,572 vehicles. This was a decrease of 2% compared with the year-earlier month....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- PRODUCT EYE: Audi RS Q3
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: world debuts list updated
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028