ITALY: PSA will be involved in next big merger says Fiat boss
He told reporters that having failed to secure an alliance with Mitsubishi, he expected PSA “try with someone else.”
Peugeot, Europe’s second largest carmaker after Volkswagen Group, last month broke off talks on an equity swap with Mitsubishi. Meanwhile French rival Renault last week expanded its alliance with Nissan and AvtoVAZ to include Daimler.
Fiat itself took a 20% share in Chrysler last summer as part of a deal to help the US carmaker emerge from bankruptcy. Five months earlier, Marchionne said that many in the auto industry viewed a Fiat-Peugeot combination as a “marriage made in heaven”.
Fiat makes about 2m cars annually, while Chrysler manufactured 1.3m last year, a combined figure that still falls short of Marchionne’s contention that to survive as a global automaker, a company needs to produce at least 5m cars a year. Peugeot sold 3.2m vehicles in 2009.
Marchionne CEO reiterated that he expects Fiat to boost its stake in Chrysler to 35% within two years as it meets industrial targets laid out in an agreement. These include building a fuel-efficient engine in the US and expanding Chrysler’s sales outside North America.
Truckmakers are protesting European Union plans to impose strict curbs on C02 emissions, calling them unrealistic and ill-designed....
Daimler is seeking to increase its stake in Russian truckmaker Kamaz beyond its current 11%....
Leading Indian automotive components maker Ashok Minda Group has bought Aksys in Koengen, Germany. The acquisition has been renamed Minda Schenk Plastic Solutions, Plant Koengen....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Land Rover Discovery Sport
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- Q&A with Ricardo on future powertrain technology
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- Lear and Dräxlmaier on auto wiring harness trends
- JLR clarifies ASEAN expansion goals
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- China market slowdown fears mount
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- Chery spearheads China’s auto export drive
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030