FRANCE: PSA refinances to tune of EUR11.5bn
The deal is expected to be completed in early January, chief finance officer Jean-Baptiste de Chatillon told Bloomberg News.
The French government has also agreed EUR7bn in bond guarantees in a bid to shore up the finances of the company which announced in the summer that it was going through cash at the rate of EUR200bn a month amid plunging European car sales.
Support from Paris was approved late on Wednesday but might be subject to European Commission scrutiny and could be challenged by the German state of Lower Saxony, home to Volkswagen, if it is thought the money could be used to help PSA restructure.
"We had seen this as being relevant only to the financing side of vehicle purchasing," European competition commissioner Joaquin Almunia told reporters. "That was the initial idea, but now we’re coming around to seeing that it’s restructuring aid for an entity; therefore we need to get a proper notification in order to know how to deal with that."
Chatillon said that he didn't expect any particular difficulties in getting the assistance approved.
"The Commission will first provide a temporary authorisation, which we'll get early next year, and then a definitive authorisation, once all the items will be documented on the legal side," he said.
Shrugging off French air traffic controllers' strike action, this week saw many of the industry's top executives gather for Automotive News Europe's Congress in Paris. Here is a brief snapshot of what...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
Volkswagen Group delivered 3.87m vehicles in the first five months of this year, up almost 6% on the same period a year ago. In May, the numbers were ahead almost 7% at 816,500....
A vehicle built at Wolfsburg has been deemed the 30 millionth Volkswagen Golf....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Multiple updates
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- Jeep hacker resigns from Twitter - report
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030