FRANCE: PSA Peugeot Citroen reveals EMP2 platform [updated with image and global plants]
The first vehicle to be launched on EMP2 will be the replacement for the Citroën C4 Picasso/Grand Picasso, due later this year
According to the company, EMP2 will use a variety of components including high-strength steel, aluminium and composites, the combination of which are claimed to mean an average weight loss of 70kg. The new architecture has been developed for C- and D-segment models.
PSA says the architecture will eventually underpin sedans, hatchbacks, wagons, SUVs, coupes and crossovers.
An infographic on PSA's media website shows the following as build locations for EMP2 vehicles:
- Vigo in Spain (Citroen C4 Picasso, 2013 launch)
- Mulhouse, Rennes and Sochaux in France (Peugeot 308, 2013 launch)
- Kaluga in Russia;
- Buenos Aires in Argentina;
- Wuhan in China (unnamed model in 2014).
More information on this new platform, and other future vehicle architectures, is available by searching PLDB, just-auto's future vehicles database (sub required).
Author: Glenn Brooks
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
There are signs that the underlying trend for the struggling European car market has now bottomed out, according to the analysts at LMC Automotive....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - Diesel developments
- Comment - emissions 'failures' hardly a surprise
- ANALYSIS - supercharged Jaguar XF
- ANALYSIS - 2016 Kia Carnival Platinum
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT - Moving closer to self-driving
- JLR achieves aluminium recycling milestone
- Ford books record Q1 pre-tax profit
- Ford to idle top-selling truck's plant for a week
- German government incentivises electric car sales
- Mitsubishi orders plunge in crisis