MALAYSIA: Proton targets 500,000 units in five years
Malaysia’s DRB-Hicom Bhd has set its Proton subsidiary an annual production target of 500,000 units to be achieved in the next five years.
Group managing director Datuk Seri Mohd Khamil Jamil told local reporters that it will be increasingly difficult for Proton to survive on current annual sales of 150,000-200,000 units per year, given the rising competition at home and abroad.
Jamil added it would not be easy to achieve these targets but the company would have to try. The first area that needs to be strengthened is Proton’s export business. Less than 20,000 new Proton cars were sold overseas last year – far below what the company sees as it full potential.
A key challenge will be to raise the image of the Proton brand overseas with a greater focus on quality and safety. Priority export markets include Australia, Thailand and Indonesia [all RHD like Malaysia - ed].
Jamil also recognises the need to fill key gaps in the product range, starting with a small A-segment car, which would also help Proton compete more effectively with Perodua in its home market. The company plans to launch two new model ranges over the next five years.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
The Malaysian automotive industry is expecting competition in the local market to intensify as the government reduces excise duties further to lower new car prices....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- Ford lowers 2014 pre-tax profit outlook
- Opel/Vauxhall issues 'do not drive' warning
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report