THAILAND: Proton plans global assault
Proton plans to export at least 20,000 cars next year driven by its recently-launched Preve and Exora as well as new models and variants from 2013.
Deputy chief executive officer Datuk Lukman Ibrahim said the company is looking at the Thai market as a testing ground for sales. It also plans a comeback in Australia and the UK.
He told reporters at the Thailand International Motor Show: "Proton's exports for this year are in the region of 14,000 units. Next year, we are aiming to sell at least 20,000 units."
For Thailand, Lukman said the company had increased its sales target from the current 3,000 units a year while it also plans to double annual sales in Australia from 2,000 to 4,000.
He added that Thailand was a good test market for competitiveness in South East Asia “because all key industry players are here and they are very competitive in the context of cost and delivery.
"For Proton to go global, Thailand is the market that actually serves as the testing ground."
He said: “If Proton wants to be successful in the future, it must be able to produce global products with global specifications. It must also meet global requirements and regulations and be able to sustain that level up to the services."
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
The Malaysian automotive industry is expecting competition in the local market to intensify as the government reduces excise duties further to lower new car prices....
Malaysia's Proton Holdings is expected to unveil new models and announce new collaborative agreements over the next year, according to local industry sources....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global CNG Vehicles Market 2014-2018