MALAYSIA: Proton now in collaboration talks with Perodua
Malaysia’s two main national car companies, Proton and Perodua, are in discussions that are expected to lead to closer collaboration between the two automakers.
Perodua’s managing director, Datuk Aminar Rashid Salleh, confirmed there are a number of areas in which the two companies wish to collaborate but that these are “still at the discussion stage”. An announcement is expected to be made later in the year.
It is understood that the discussions are focused on ways to share costs, rather than any deeper partnership involving product sharing. Perodua is a joint venture with Toyota’s Daihatsu Motor as a majority shareholder.
Datuk Aminar also confirmed Perodua has no intentions of merging with Proton answering local speculation about a unified future for the two companies. He said the automaker has its own plans to move forward independently.
It is unclear how collaboration with Perodua would go down with Mitsubishi Motors (MMC), which is currently in talks with Proton over a broad strategic partnership.
Last month Proton announced it was discussing a major strategic partnership with MMC covering joint engine production, product and component sharing - including advanced hybrid technologies, and contract assembly of Mitsubishi vehicles at Proton’s plants in Malaysia.
Another week has whizzed by - along with our summer, apparently - without the disastrous announcement from General Motors Europe that had been in the offing following the Opel supervisory meeting on W...
The final list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared for the first time at the New York auto show's press days....
UMW Toyota expects to achieve its sales target of 93,000 Toyota and Lexus models in 2012, in spite of the adverse impact of new lending guidelines in Malaysia....
As manufacturers continue to announce world premiere concepts and production models ahead of the 23 & 24 April media preview days of AutoChina 2012, just-auto keeps track for you....
Japanese car makers, trying to make up for production lost last year, boosted production at overseas plants by 25% to 1.37m units in February, the third consecutive month of year-on-year growth....
PSA Peugeot Citroen and Toyota - who have been building small cars together in the Czech Republic since 2002 - are discussing joint production at the Sevelnord plant in northern France, according to F...
More good news for Canadian auto workers along with Toyota's announcement of expanded RAV4 capacity at Woodstock, Ontario: Ford is adding an extra engine-making shift in Windsor....
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- Ford lowers 2014 pre-tax profit outlook
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)