MALAYSIA: Proton ‘needs to boost exports, quality’
Proton, owned by DRB-Hicom since early last year, will unveil a turnaround plan next month aimed at improving the company’s image while increasing sales and income streams, former Malaysian prime minister Dr Mahathir Mohamad has told reporters in Kuala Lumpur.
Dr Mahathir, who helped establish Proton in 1983 and is still an adviser to the company, said the car maker was at a crucial juncture as it has to produce globally-competitive cars to compete with foreign car companies which formed a significant portion of Malaysia's total automotive industry volume.
"We cannot be always producing cheap cars. If that is the case, we will lose the confidence of Malaysians as it is a general view that cheap cars does not come with quality," he said.
Dr Mahathir said that DRB-Hicom was committed to boosting the image of the national car company from merely a local company to a global and well-respected car maker.
Malaysia’s car market – 628,000 cars last year and predicted to reach 640,000 this year – was ‘over-crowded’ which is why Proton needs to concentrate on exports, he said.
Proton and Perodua account for just over 50% of the Malaysian car market.
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Analysts are confident that vehicle sales in Malaysia will improve in the second half of the year, driven by attractive seasonal offers and model launches....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
- Management briefing: Paris show preview
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: BMW i8
- Jaguar's XE spearheads new industrial strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris gets closer
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Renault Twingo
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda CR-V facelift
- EC gives Germany two months to comply with MAC
- Ford recalls 850,050 cars for airbag systems check
- Ford lowers 2014 pre-tax profit outlook
- JLR to start Brazil assembly with Discovery Sport?
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Ethiopia - ISA Country Report
- Analysis of over 140 Lithium-based Rechargeable Battery Manufacturers: Chemistry, Strategy, Success
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report