US: Prius demand passes 2012 target of 220,000
Toyota Motor plans to boost supplies of its Prius hybrid in the US as demand exceeds the initial target of 220,000 vehicles for 2012.
According to Bloomberg News, sales of Prius models, the core liftback model and new V wagon, C subcompact and plug-in liftback, rose 56% year on year to 86,027 units to the end of April.
The increasing demand for the vehicle is due to rising petrol prices which recently passed US$4 a gallon nationally but have been dropping a little.
Bob Carter, Toyota's US sales chief, said: "We're tracking well ahead of [220,000]. I've ordered additional production. I'm confident we'll get additional production but globally we're seeing high demand, particularly in Japan."
Japan has seen a hike in Prius sales due to new government incentives for fuel efficient vehicles. Carter said Toyota's US unit may end up getting fewer units than it wants.
"It's too early to project any of those types of numbers. We don't have production confirmed at this time," he said.
The Prius is built in Japan and models for China are assembled there.
Australian union, AMWU, is urging Ford and Holden to make a long term commitment to local parts suppliers after 400 members at Autodom returned to work this week....
Toyota has sold over 1m hybrid vehicles in a year for the first time....
Declining exports and poor sales at home are hurting South Korea's three foreign-owned carmakers Renault Samsung, GM Korea and Ssangyong....
Toyota is riding out the economic downturn in Europe by reforming the way it does business....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Leon X-Perience & SEAT SE376
- Could the sun be the de-carbonising game changer?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Toyota Auris adds small engine
- BMW reveals redesigned Mini Clubman
- McLaren Automotive posts second year of profit
- VW plans low cost car family
- Audi is first customer for new car configurator
- UK car output remains on the up
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- Global light vehicle OE starter motors and alternators market- forecasts to 2029