US: Prius demand passes 2012 target of 220,000
Toyota Motor plans to boost supplies of its Prius hybrid in the US as demand exceeds the initial target of 220,000 vehicles for 2012.
According to Bloomberg News, sales of Prius models, the core liftback model and new V wagon, C subcompact and plug-in liftback, rose 56% year on year to 86,027 units to the end of April.
The increasing demand for the vehicle is due to rising petrol prices which recently passed US$4 a gallon nationally but have been dropping a little.
Bob Carter, Toyota's US sales chief, said: "We're tracking well ahead of [220,000]. I've ordered additional production. I'm confident we'll get additional production but globally we're seeing high demand, particularly in Japan."
Japan has seen a hike in Prius sales due to new government incentives for fuel efficient vehicles. Carter said Toyota's US unit may end up getting fewer units than it wants.
"It's too early to project any of those types of numbers. We don't have production confirmed at this time," he said.
The Prius is built in Japan and models for China are assembled there.
Australian union, AMWU, is urging Ford and Holden to make a long term commitment to local parts suppliers after 400 members at Autodom returned to work this week....
Toyota has sold over 1m hybrid vehicles in a year for the first time....
Declining exports and poor sales at home are hurting South Korea's three foreign-owned carmakers Renault Samsung, GM Korea and Ssangyong....
Toyota is riding out the economic downturn in Europe by reforming the way it does business....
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- JLR recreates 1948 line for Defender plant tour
- Most cars unscathed by Osaka drama: ship owner
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Honda changes air bag supplier from Takata
- GENEVA DEBUTS: Honda Civic Type R
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle HVAC market- forecasts to 2029