US: Prius demand passes 2012 target of 220,000
Toyota Motor plans to boost supplies of its Prius hybrid in the US as demand exceeds the initial target of 220,000 vehicles for 2012.
According to Bloomberg News, sales of Prius models, the core liftback model and new V wagon, C subcompact and plug-in liftback, rose 56% year on year to 86,027 units to the end of April.
The increasing demand for the vehicle is due to rising petrol prices which recently passed US$4 a gallon nationally but have been dropping a little.
Bob Carter, Toyota's US sales chief, said: "We're tracking well ahead of [220,000]. I've ordered additional production. I'm confident we'll get additional production but globally we're seeing high demand, particularly in Japan."
Japan has seen a hike in Prius sales due to new government incentives for fuel efficient vehicles. Carter said Toyota's US unit may end up getting fewer units than it wants.
"It's too early to project any of those types of numbers. We don't have production confirmed at this time," he said.
The Prius is built in Japan and models for China are assembled there.
Australian union, AMWU, is urging Ford and Holden to make a long term commitment to local parts suppliers after 400 members at Autodom returned to work this week....
Toyota has sold over 1m hybrid vehicles in a year for the first time....
Declining exports and poor sales at home are hurting South Korea's three foreign-owned carmakers Renault Samsung, GM Korea and Ssangyong....
Toyota is riding out the economic downturn in Europe by reforming the way it does business....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Toyota's FCV cometh
- VA: Minnow Mitsubishi not short on L200 claims
- Kia UK MD on how to raise brand pricing
- Q&A: Kia MD sees 100,000 sales in UK
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- JCI confirms auto exit as supplier eddies swirl
- Mitsubishi ending US production
- FCA to recall 1,060,531 Ram trucks
- Fiat Chrysler cops record penalty from NHTSA
- FRANKFURT DEBUTS LIST: Bentley Bentayga added
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030