GERMANY: Piech hints an extended stay at the head of VW
Volkswagen chairman Ferdinand Piech could stay at the head of the company beyond the term he was granted earlier this year.
He told the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag: “A new model of the Golf usually comes out every 5-7 years. At least that long I will cover (Martin) Winterkorn's back as chairman.”
A decision to prolong his tenure would push back long-awaited succession planning. Analysts have been critical of Volkswagen for not bringing forward managers seen capable of leading the 12-brand car group.
In April, shareholders voted 75-year old Piech to act as chairman for a third term which runs until December 2016. Piech is already the oldest-ever chairman of a listed German company.
Piech also served nine years as chief executive officer. He also told the newspaper that he is concerned about the impact of the euro zone crisis on VW.
"We are worried about regions south of the Alps and west of the river Rhine. You'll hardly notice 5% plus or minus in Germany but will notice two thirds less in Spain."
The media day for the Barcelona motor show was 9 May. Our preview list is now republished as an historic record of the vehicles which were global debuts....
Volkswagen Group luxury car unit Bentley is expanding in fast growing eastern Europe with its first dealership in Belarus....
Sales of new cars in Germany, Europe's biggest market, grew 3.8% to 284,400 vehicles last month compared with 273,900 in April 2012. It was the first increase for six months and the biggest since Dece...
Negotiating committees representing Volkswagen AG and the IG Metall trade union have started pay negotiations with a meeting in Hanover, home to the automaker's main commercial vehicles plant....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays