GERMANY: Piech hints an extended stay at the head of VW
Volkswagen chairman Ferdinand Piech could stay at the head of the company beyond the term he was granted earlier this year.
He told the German newspaper Bild am Sonntag: “A new model of the Golf usually comes out every 5-7 years. At least that long I will cover (Martin) Winterkorn's back as chairman.”
A decision to prolong his tenure would push back long-awaited succession planning. Analysts have been critical of Volkswagen for not bringing forward managers seen capable of leading the 12-brand car group.
In April, shareholders voted 75-year old Piech to act as chairman for a third term which runs until December 2016. Piech is already the oldest-ever chairman of a listed German company.
Piech also served nine years as chief executive officer. He also told the newspaper that he is concerned about the impact of the euro zone crisis on VW.
"We are worried about regions south of the Alps and west of the river Rhine. You'll hardly notice 5% plus or minus in Germany but will notice two thirds less in Spain."
The media day for the Barcelona motor show was 9 May. Our preview list is now republished as an historic record of the vehicles which were global debuts....
Volkswagen Group luxury car unit Bentley is expanding in fast growing eastern Europe with its first dealership in Belarus....
Sales of new cars in Germany, Europe's biggest market, grew 3.8% to 284,400 vehicles last month compared with 273,900 in April 2012. It was the first increase for six months and the biggest since Dece...
Negotiating committees representing Volkswagen AG and the IG Metall trade union have started pay negotiations with a meeting in Hanover, home to the automaker's main commercial vehicles plant....
- PLDB Future Models - LA & Guangzhou shows insights
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: All eyes on Vienna
- ANALYSIS: Opel-Vauxhall and Buick's shared future
- INTERVIEW: Fiat brand head, Olivier Francois
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Lexus concedes to Germany
- BELGIUM: Jaguar overtaken by Lexus across Europe
- GUANGZHOU DEBUTS: 'Chery Land Rover' Evoque
- 2014 LA SHOW: World debuts list [final version]
- Jaguar Land Rover to recall vehicles over TPMS
- JLR announces new connectivity platform/app