POLAND: Other brands to be made in Opel/Vauxhall plants
Girsky stopped short of saying that Peugeots will roll off his assembly lines following the strategic alliance between the two companies.
GM has already shut one of its factories at Antwerp in Belgium and another in Germany will be shuttered this year. Girsky said: "GME did 1m cars last year, it is the third largest car maker in Europe and employs 37,400 people with 11 plants. Yes, there is spare capacity but we can produce non-Opel/Vauxhall models.”
As for the alliance with PSA, Girsky said joint purchasing has already started and both parties will soon start seeing benefits. "GM is particularly strong on the purchasing side while PSA has some technologies that we are very interested in. We have already embarked on three joint programmes, there is an engine in the mix and there will be more to come.”
Current programmes also include a logistics agreement with PSA-owned Gefco and joint vehicle programmes on Meriva, Zafira and Corsa.
"These will allow us to create true European economies of scale, leverage development resources, bring vehicles to market which we could not afford alone and find European market-optimised solutions.”
Despite the fact that its alliance partner is struggling, announcing losses of EUR5bn (GBP4.3bn) earlier this month, Girsky said he was confident about the future. "PSA is committed to making things work and it is a very important company in France. It is not something that is going to go away overnight.”
Girskly hands over the top job at GME at the end of this week to new chief Karl-Thomas Neumann and, up to his departure, has been immersed in talks with German unions over plant closures and cutbacks. And he admitted that more factory closures by European manufacturers were looming.
"Some 10% of capacity still needs to be taken out to get things into balance."
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Honda Europe Jazz Prototype
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Bosch taking over EPS JV with ZF
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)