SOUTH KOREA: Orlando gets first official home market Chevy badge
Last month the company announced plans to change its name to GM Korea and replace Daewoo with Chevrolet by the end of the first quarter.
Along with the name changes, the company will introduce eight new cars in Korea this year ? all of which will be sold under the Chevy brand.
At the launch event in Seoul, themed ‘Chevrolet is Korea,’ the company emphasised the new brand’s connection to Korea and the newness of the Orlando.
GM Daewoo president Mike Arcamone said: “We are very excited about the first Chevrolet that was designed in Korea, engineered in Korea and manufactured in Korea. Chevrolet is Korea.”
Referring to the Orlando as an 'active life vehicle' Arcamone also said that the car represented a completely different concept to segments such as sport utility and multipurpose vehicles.
Vice president for sales Ankush Arora said the car will be shipped to 100 markets across the world, and that the plant in Gunsan will be at full capacity to first meet domestic demand and then export requirements.
The plant, which also produces the Cruze that shares its platform with the Orlando, has an annual production capacity of 300,000 units.
Arcamone added that plans to raise the plant’s capacity could also be considered if demand outpaces supply.
The seven-seat vehicle has three rows of seats, the rear two of which can be folded down in various configurations. Engine options include a 160hp, two litre turbocharged diesel mated with six-speed automatic transmission.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
Fiat's Sergio Marchionne has long argued that scale is all in the volume car business. Fiat has now taken control of Chrysler and the effective union of the two is to be cemented by a single managemen...
General Motors has announced second quarter net income up 89% year on year to US$2.5bn, or $1.54 per share, the restructured, post-bankruptcy automaker's sixth consecutive profitable quarter. Revenue ...
General Motors' global new vehicle sales in the first half of 2011 rose 8.9% year on year to 4.54m units, passing the 3.72m Toyota delivered....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Jeep hacker resigns from Twitter - report
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030