GERMANY: Opel unions agree 2016 Bochum closure - reports
Newswire reports in Germany suggest that Opel's union leaders have agreed to the closure of Opel's Bochum plant, but not until 2016.
Opel's senior labour leader Wolfgang Schaefer-Klug told the German DPA news agency that the plant would not be closed before 2016 and that employees would be offered a two-year, fully financed retraining programme once car production finished.
GM Vice Chairman Steve Girsky gave an end-February deadline for labour unions to sign off a deal on Bochum. While the terms of the closure have been under negotiation in recent months, labour unions have appeared resigned to the closure of the Bochum plant. Last month, however, it appeared that GM was pushing to close Bochum as early as 2015, something that angered labour unions.
GM's European operations saw a widening of losses in 2012 and Opel/Vauxhall, along with several other major European carmakers, is troubled by overcapacity in a region seeing further market contraction this year.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Citroën & Lamborghini concepts
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)