GERMANY: Opel unions agree 2016 Bochum closure - reports
Newswire reports in Germany suggest that Opel's union leaders have agreed to the closure of Opel's Bochum plant, but not until 2016.
Opel's senior labour leader Wolfgang Schaefer-Klug told the German DPA news agency that the plant would not be closed before 2016 and that employees would be offered a two-year, fully financed retraining programme once car production finished.
GM Vice Chairman Steve Girsky gave an end-February deadline for labour unions to sign off a deal on Bochum. While the terms of the closure have been under negotiation in recent months, labour unions have appeared resigned to the closure of the Bochum plant. Last month, however, it appeared that GM was pushing to close Bochum as early as 2015, something that angered labour unions.
GM's European operations saw a widening of losses in 2012 and Opel/Vauxhall, along with several other major European carmakers, is troubled by overcapacity in a region seeing further market contraction this year.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global transmissions sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gain...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- ANALYSIS: Europe's car market in 2014, and 2015
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Weather dashes Hoegh tow but heavy list reducing
- Salvers look to slash Hoegh list to 5° for tow
- Toyota puts the brakes on sales expectations
- Volkswagen Golf stays top of European chart
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle front end modules market- forecasts to 2029