GERMANY: Opel chief says PSA talks on track
"The quality of the talks is really very good. And the operational and technical advantages are so great that we will surely will be able to wrap up soon the negotiations on joint vehicle development," Thomas Sedran told WirtschaftsWoche, according to Reuters.
The plan is to come up with four new model lines by 2016/2017: a successor for the Opel Zafira MPV [minivan] the current plant for which is now confirmed doomed, two compact cars and a successor to the mid-sized Opel Insignia and Citroen C5.
Reuters noted that GM and Peugeot unveiled an initial alliance agreement in February with the goal of saving at least US$2bn annually within five years, evenly split between the partners.
GM paid EUR320m ($419m) for a 7% stake in Peugeot as part of the original deal.
People close to the situation told Reuters last month that the partners had halted talks on an even deeper tie-up amid misgivings about the French carmaker's worsening finances and government-backed bailout.
Opel aims to boost business in Russia and Turkey by capitalising on its German brand, Sedran also told Wirtschaftswoche.
It was working on a plan to boost Opel sales in China from 5,000 units a year now. "You can only be successful in China if you produce there. Plants in Europe aren't much help."
Some Opel models are already built and sold in China other under brand names such as Buick - one version of the Excelle is essentially the current Opel Astra.
Shrugging off French air traffic controllers' strike action, this week saw many of the industry's top executives gather for Automotive News Europe's Congress in Paris. Here is a brief snapshot of what...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Electric Vehicles (EVs) in Units by the following Product Segments: Battery Powered Electric Vehicles (BPEVs), Hybrid Electric Vehicles (HEVs), and Fuel ...
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
The 2013 Goodwood Festival of Speed was held between 11-14 July inclusive, with many vehicles making their global debuts....
Despite newspaper reports in Germany, General Motors said it has made no decision about assembling the Chevrolet Cruze at its plant in Poland from the end of next year....
Opel will start assembling Corsas in Belarus in 2014 but the actual build work should be simple as the cars will come from Spain and Germany only as semi knocked down (SKD) kits....
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report