RUSSIA: Old Chrysler's new life ends - media
Siber sales have never met expectations
Russia's project to give an old Chrysler a new life has come to an end, according to media reports.
Prime Tass, citing business daily Vedomosti, said GAZ Group has stopped producing Volga Siber cars. The paper in turn cited a group supplier and a source close to the group.
One source said GAZ decided to stop producing the Volga Siber - based on the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus platform - and use the production line to assemble foreign-branded cars. The line can make 100,000 units a year and built just 2,500 Sibers in 2009. The group is currently in the process of drawing up agreements to produce vehicles for Volkswagen, Daimler, and General Motors, the paper said.
Yelena Matveyeva, vice president of GAZ Group, was quoted as saying a final decision to end SIber production had not yet been made. The group has suspended purchasing components but is ready to resume if orders for the cars increase.
Production began in July 2008.
The Camry and Corolla, along with the Accord and Civic have ruled the US new car market sales charts for over a decade. Armed with recent production numbers and sales trends, Glenn Brooks suspects not...
The US Department of the Treasury has agreed to sell to Fiat its 6% interest in Chrysler Group its interest in an agreement with the UAW retiree trust for an estimated US$560m....
- COMMENT: McLaren comes of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Mitsubishi throws in US towel
- Q&A with Ricardo on future powertrain technology
- ANALYSIS: Making sense of China's sales volatility
- Lear and Dräxlmaier on auto wiring harness trends
- Delphi ramps up acquisitions
- JLR clarifies ASEAN expansion goals
- Audi to debut OLED lighting at IAA
- Chery spearheads China’s auto export drive
- Audi brand sets first half sales record
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle steering market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE tyres market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2030