RUSSIA: Old Chrysler's new life ends - media
Siber sales have never met expectations
Russia's project to give an old Chrysler a new life has come to an end, according to media reports.
Prime Tass, citing business daily Vedomosti, said GAZ Group has stopped producing Volga Siber cars. The paper in turn cited a group supplier and a source close to the group.
One source said GAZ decided to stop producing the Volga Siber - based on the Chrysler Sebring and Dodge Stratus platform - and use the production line to assemble foreign-branded cars. The line can make 100,000 units a year and built just 2,500 Sibers in 2009. The group is currently in the process of drawing up agreements to produce vehicles for Volkswagen, Daimler, and General Motors, the paper said.
Yelena Matveyeva, vice president of GAZ Group, was quoted as saying a final decision to end SIber production had not yet been made. The group has suspended purchasing components but is ready to resume if orders for the cars increase.
Production began in July 2008.
The Camry and Corolla, along with the Accord and Civic have ruled the US new car market sales charts for over a decade. Armed with recent production numbers and sales trends, Glenn Brooks suspects not...
The US Department of the Treasury has agreed to sell to Fiat its 6% interest in Chrysler Group its interest in an agreement with the UAW retiree trust for an estimated US$560m....
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030