EXCLUSIVE: No Pathfinder replacement for Nissan Barcelona plant
Nissan Europe's Pathfinder
Nissan Europe has told just-auto that despite the launch of a new Pathfinder in North America, there are no plans to replace the model that has been built in Barcelona since 2005.
"The European Pathfinder (produced in Barcelona) is going to continue its European career. The new Pathfinder presented in the US is not going to be introduced in Europe. We will keep current Pathfinder for a couple of years still", a spokesperson for Nissan Europe stated to just-auto via email.
The current model had its global debut at the Detroit motor show in January 2004, with European build commencing exactly one year later. Unlike the model that has just gone out of production at Nissan North America's Smyrna plant in Tennessee, the Spanish-made Pathfinder has always been available with a diesel engine. The 4.0-litre V6 that was standard in North America was offered for a time in Europe but NNA's optional 5.6-litre V8 never made it to Europe.
The new Pathfinder SUV recently went into production at Smyrna alongside the closely related Infiniti JX. Both come with a standard 3.5-litre V6 and there is no V8 option. Unlike the body-on-frame chassis of the rear- and all-wheel drive Barcelona-built model, the new front- and all-wheel drive Pathfinder uses a monocoque construction. Its platform is the Nissan D architecture.
Author: Glenn Brooks
There have been some cold winds blowing this week, literally and metaphorically. The metaphorical blasts are all too familiar and can be summed up in three words: problems in Europe....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global 4WD and AWD sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this report to gai...
A mixed week of mostly good news, industry niggle in France and financial woes at PSA excepted. Ford booked a healthy US$5.7bn full year net profit for 2012 - our resident commentator weighed in on th...
Details of concepts and new models which made their global debuts at the Geneva motor show on media preview days 5 and 6 March....
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts on the 7 February press preview day of the 2013 Chicago auto show....
Jatco has announced plans to invest US$220m to establish its second plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico. The new plant is scheduled to start production in the summer of 2014 with annual production capacit...
UK new car registrations rose 11.5% to 143,643 units in January, another positive result to contrast with markets elsewhere in Europe....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Maserati Ghibli diesel
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Interesting, interesting...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- ANALYSIS: Q1-Q3 ASEAN sales down 11%
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- SAO PAULO SHOW: World premieres
- Protests grow against VW recall action in China
- Audi reportedly scraps A6 Hybrid
- LA DEBUTS: Porsche Panamera Exclusive Series
- Under new Ford CEO, new life beckons for Lincoln
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2029
- Global Automotive Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Systems Market 2014-2018
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report