JAPAN: Nissan’s Nismo to launch at least one new model a year - CEO
Nissan Motor's Nismo arm began a new era, unveiling its global headquarters and enhanced performance car and motorsports roles.
Building on Nismo versions of the Juke and 370Z, the brand will launch at least one new model a year during Nissan's current midterm business plan, including a new take on the flagship GT-R, said Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn.
"It's already a superior car, in terms of performance cars, but the GT-R Nismo is going to be the lion of the jungle," he said. "It's going to be really on top of everything we've offered so far. I'm very excited to see it coming to the market."
The special GT-R will be available within 12 months, he added, while on the track, Nismo will take on global responsibility for managing Nissan's motorsport programme.
That includes top-level competition in every region from Australia's V8 Supercars to Super GT in Japan.
From 2014, Nismo will return to the legendary Le Mans 24 Hours race with a new car now under development.
Creating Nismo's new home in Yokohama involved redeveloping a former production site and giving it resources to go beyond the brand's historical strengths, said Nismo president Shoichi Miyatani.
"This is going to be the centre hub of activities in future," he said.
For road cars, Nismo promises that every modification will be functional and targeted at improving on-road performance, from small models to the halo GT-R Nismo.
Nissan has applied to its local authorities for permission to add 25,000 square metres of capacity to its Sunderland plant in North-East England....
Nissan will offer a newly-developed Cummins V8 turbo diesel in its next generation full-size pick-up in the US....
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Volkswagen making progress on diesel emissions fix
- Chinese explosion, investments, lower JLR profit
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030