JAPAN: Nissan talks lithium battery JV
Nissan Motor is reported to be talking with Japanese electronics company NEC about establishing a joint venture that would make lithium ion batteries for use in hybrid and fuel cell cars.
The move would be a key part of the automaker's strategy to develop hybrid technology in an effort to catch up with Toyota which has taken the lead in the business, an Associated Press report noted.
The proposed partnership would involve development, manufacturing and sales of batteries, the automaker reportedly said.
AP also noted that, when Nissan unveiled a technology development roadmap on 11 December, it outlined plans to roll out petrol-electric powered vehicles built using its own system in North America and Japan in the fiscal year ending March 2011.
It already plans to offer a hybrid version of its Altima sedan in the US from January but with Toyota's technology, AP added.
According to the news agency, the Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper reported that Nissan and NEC plan to build a lithium ion battery factory by 2010, investing more than JPY10bn in the project.
The European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) has finally decided that Japanese car builders who operate in Europe are no less European than the Americans who build Fords, Opels and Vauxhal...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
The Indonesian vehicle market in May continued its strong recovery from the sharp decline in 2006. Sales jumped 66% year-on-year to 38,313 units compared with 23,079 in May 2006, according to data rel...
Toyota Motor on Friday said it was talking with Japanese partner and truck maker Isuzu on developing diesel engines, but no details had been decided....
Hybrid vehicles are about to get a big boost from the US's rental car industry, a report said this week....
Toyota Australia plans a "significant" boost to its medium SUV sales with the next-generation Kluger, which will be offered with both two- and four-wheel-drive 'down under' for the first time....
Ford insiders appear to have confirmed and provided more details of a project first reported by just-auto in October 2005 - the automaker will build an upcoming new subcompact sedan for the North Amer...
Climate-controlled seat pioneer Amerigon Incorporated recently shipped its milestone three millionth Climate Control Seat (CCS) system....
- ANALYSIS: VW's self-defeating defeat devices
- CEO says Citroen wants to be quirky again
- Volvo's engine and platform independence progress
- Advanced tech previews from OEMs - PLDB
- Indian summer for SsangYong - ANALYSIS
- Jaguar Land Rover expands engine plant capacity
- VW Group reins in capital spending
- Bosch investigated for role in VW scandal
- Takata manipulated test results back to 2000
- Prosecutors eye VW workers for emissions tax evade
- Global light vehicle instrumentation and cockpits market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE shock absorbers market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electronic braking market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE mirrors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle roof systems market- forecasts to 2030