US: NHTSA opens investigation into 724,000 Ford and Mercury vehicles
NHTSA has opened a safety investigation into the 2009-2011 Escape and Fusion, and Mariner and Milan.
The agency said it had 123 reports involving complaints of reduced power or vehicle stall in Escape vehicles under investigation. To address complaints, Ford modified the model design in 2009 but did not recall the vehicles, reported the Detroit News. There have been 27,500 warranty claims for the issue and reports of three crashes and one injury, according to NHTSA. Ford has received over 1,400 complaints.
Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said: "We are cooperating fully with NHTSA on this investigation, as we do on all investigations."
There may be contaminated circuit boards with plating variations in vehicles manufactured between June and October 2009 which could result in failures. Vehicles made after 15 October 2009 feature electronic throttle bodies manufactured with a new process which solved the problem. A technical service bulletin by the company told dealers to replace the throttle body on several Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
NHTSA said certain Ford vehicles being examined were identified as failed electronic throttle bodies with diagnostic trouble codes P2111 Throttle Body Stuck Open, and P2112 Throttle Body Stuck Closed. A driver may see varying levels of reduced engine performance, based on the condition of throttle control system malfunction.
NHTSA also received 59 complaints for model year 2010-11 Ford Fusions, over engine stalling while driving. Fourteen complaints said the throttle body was replaced or error codes were related to limp-home modes.
NHTSA opened the formal probe after receiving a petition in August from the North Carolina Consumers Council which called for a broad investigation into electronic throttle body malfunctions that caused engine stall or surge in 2005-12 Ford Escapes.
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
New vehicle sales in the US are continuing to run at a strong level in August according to a monthly sales forecast developed jointly by JD Power and LMC Automotive....
Geely Automobile Holdings (GAH) has announced plans to launch its first jointly-developed car with Sweden's Volvo Cars in mainland China as early as 2015, as it tries to compete with foreign branded v...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson has said he will pay EUR500,000 to charity in order to settle a German investigation into alleged corruption during his previous tenure as chief executive at truck make...
Ford has begun a three-year research project with St. Petersburg Polytechnic University in Russia to observe the communication models of robots in space, with potential for connected vehicle communica...
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Peugeot Fractal added
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Toyota restarts Tianjin site after port inferno
- APMA urges Ottawa "not to relent" on TPP
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030