US: NHTSA opens investigation into 724,000 Ford and Mercury vehicles
NHTSA has opened a safety investigation into the 2009-2011 Escape and Fusion, and Mariner and Milan.
The agency said it had 123 reports involving complaints of reduced power or vehicle stall in Escape vehicles under investigation. To address complaints, Ford modified the model design in 2009 but did not recall the vehicles, reported the Detroit News. There have been 27,500 warranty claims for the issue and reports of three crashes and one injury, according to NHTSA. Ford has received over 1,400 complaints.
Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker said: "We are cooperating fully with NHTSA on this investigation, as we do on all investigations."
There may be contaminated circuit boards with plating variations in vehicles manufactured between June and October 2009 which could result in failures. Vehicles made after 15 October 2009 feature electronic throttle bodies manufactured with a new process which solved the problem. A technical service bulletin by the company told dealers to replace the throttle body on several Ford and Lincoln vehicles.
NHTSA said certain Ford vehicles being examined were identified as failed electronic throttle bodies with diagnostic trouble codes P2111 Throttle Body Stuck Open, and P2112 Throttle Body Stuck Closed. A driver may see varying levels of reduced engine performance, based on the condition of throttle control system malfunction.
NHTSA also received 59 complaints for model year 2010-11 Ford Fusions, over engine stalling while driving. Fourteen complaints said the throttle body was replaced or error codes were related to limp-home modes.
NHTSA opened the formal probe after receiving a petition in August from the North Carolina Consumers Council which called for a broad investigation into electronic throttle body malfunctions that caused engine stall or surge in 2005-12 Ford Escapes.
This report is based on an in-depth market analysis with inputs from industry experts. The report covers the Americas and the APAC and EMEA regions; it also covers the Global Advanced Driver Assistanc...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
New vehicle sales in the US are continuing to run at a strong level in August according to a monthly sales forecast developed jointly by JD Power and LMC Automotive....
Geely Automobile Holdings (GAH) has announced plans to launch its first jointly-developed car with Sweden's Volvo Cars in mainland China as early as 2015, as it tries to compete with foreign branded v...
A 7 September win for the Liberal-National parties coalition in Australia's federal election would lead to General Motors Holden ending manufacturing. So claims Phil Horton, the managing director of B...
Volvo Cars CEO Hakan Samuelsson has said he will pay EUR500,000 to charity in order to settle a German investigation into alleged corruption during his previous tenure as chief executive at truck make...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Big fish eaten by bigger fish
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar launches India assembled XJ
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn