UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- COMMENT: Diesel not out in London and Paris
- Management briefing: 48V mild hybrids (2)
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Europe's fragile recovery continues
- Honda chief quits
- Geneva show list updated
- Land Rover updates Evoque
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- Ricardo unveils new prototype electric motor
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)