UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- Has Audi reached a model proliferation limit?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: New Hondas and the ship's up
- What now for docked Hoegh Osaka cargo?
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Honda CR-V update
- RESEARCH ANALYSIS: Review of instrumentation
- Automakers anxious to learn Osaka cars fate: Hoegh
- Honda changes air bag supplier from Takata
- Hoegh Osaka due back in Southampton at 17:00 GMT
- CHICAGO DEBUTS: Mysterious Mitsubishi teased
- BMW appoints new head of Mini brand
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- Global light vehicle OE wheels market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029