UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- PSA issues new business plan
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028