A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- Brexit could lift UK auto production – Asian view
- Audi S8 plus - if 585PS just isn’t enough power
- Recalls redux - the week that was
- Driving the new Q30, and Infiniti future models
- Ford and Lincoln future models into the 2020s
- Mixed reaction to Tesla's latest plans
- Why has Teslamotors.com become Tesla.com?
- General Motors Europe in profit as records tumble
- General Motors re-thinks India strategy - report
- Volkswagen emissions scandal hits Porsche SE