UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- INTERVIEW: Ford of Europe's chief, Stephen Odell
- GENEVA WRAP: Europe still struggles, future bright
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: iOS (and Android) in the car
- Jaguar Land Rover's lightweight future
- COMMENT: Russian auto jitters in Crimea poker
- EXCLUSIVE: Renault axes another EV
- Jaguar recruits Beckham as China brand ambassador
- 'One Ford' has kept us alive in Europe
- Tata mulls platform collaboration with Chery
- Geely to axe domestic brands
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- Dacia: The no frills automotive brand, that is becoming a serious world contender
- China’s One-Child Policy is Shaping a New Automotive Landscape
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global light vehicle HVAC market 2008 to 2028