UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- COMMENT: What is normal in Russian maelstrom?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The August harvest...
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: SEAT Alhambra 2.0 TDI
- ANALYSIS: Piston days - Daimler leads steel charge
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2015 Volvo XC70
- Mercedes 'guilty' of China parts price fixing
- ZF's TRW plans hit a Bosch hitch - report
- JLR reveals special operations UK site
- Volvo Cars hails new engineering architecture
- Ford recalls 160,000 cars to fix wiring problem
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Brazilian automobile industry - Right strategy for tough times
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Motor Vehicle Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, Key Executives, and Contact Details