UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- COMMENT: US JLR plant likely to get a warm welcome
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Peugeot RCZ R
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2014 Kia Sportage
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Mitsubishi's top-selling PHEV
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Paris, the US, Sweden...
- JLR eyes US southern states 'transplant' - paper
- Tatkata airbag recall extended to 7.8m US vehicles
- JLR-Chery JV opens China factory
- Tesla outsells rivals as Europe sales rise 6%
- Daimler restructures cooperation with Tesla
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates (annual subscription)