UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- COMMENT: 'Showing instruments' in West stand off?
- Briefing: Emerging markets in trouble (3)
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Citroën DS4
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: And what a week...
- COMMENT: Foreign OEMs chose appeasement in China
- [12:45BST update]: Nissan's Palmer named Aston CEO
- PARIS DEBUTS: Infiniti Q70 2.2d
- Volvo finally takes covers off redesigned XC90
- CHENGDU SHOW: World premieres
- SWEDEN: Redesign moves XC90 up market in UK
- New Engines Aiming for 60% Thermal Efficiency Japanese Automobile Manufacturers Rising to the Post-HEV Challenge
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Charging Equipment for EV Market 2014-2018
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants