UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Chinese scoop up Pirelli
- Briefing: developments in powertrain batteries
- ANALYSIS: VW Group - success and succession
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: A new Volkswagen for the fleets
- COMMENT: Russia - it is rocket science
- Volvo Cars to build US factory
- GM management outlines reasons for Russia rethink
- New York show debuts: Porsche Boxster Spyder added
- Mahindra throws in the Brazil towel
- Tesla to unveil 'major new non-car product line'