UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Panamera 4S
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Vauxhall Adam Rocks Air
- BMW's MINI to stick to 2-plant assembly set-up
- Toyota considers the lure of Mexico
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- PARIS DEBUTS: Mercedes-Benz B-Class facelift
- Opel introduces Karl, Vauxhall revives Viva
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Global Automotive Suspension Systems Market 2014-2018
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn