UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- ANALYSIS: Hyundai axes Veloster, goes after Toyota
- Review of 2014 (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Bleak Christmas ahead for some
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 2
- ANALYSIS: Future models for North America - Part 1
- Ford union to block "even a screwdriver" at Genk
- JLR research removes blind spots
- Genk mayor organises "loudest shift" as Ford exits
- NHTSA lists Ford, Jaguar and Porsche recalls
- Bye, Chrysler, hello FCA US
- Global light diesel vehicles market- forecasts to 2029
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029