UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- Swallowing Fiat-Chrysler 'would be bad for VW'
- Audi TDI tech is 25 years of age
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Roasting in Kia's Mojave oven
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Driving the Swedish nanny state
- COMMENT: Has ZF fired M&A starting gun with TRW?
- Sir Nick Scheele dies
- Volvo claims two safety firsts for XC90
- Nissan learns from India mistakes
- Fiat denies merger talks with VW
- Rule change hits 'free charger' offers for EVs
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Tesla: The Californian start-up that made head way on the automotive giants
- New Cars: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018