UK: New tyre indicates when it needs to be replaced
A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- COMMENT: Tesla Model X - the elephant in the room
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Volkswagen, diesel, recalls
- ANALYSIS: What does TPP mean for autos?
- Q&A: Magna’s CTO on the autonomous car
- Europe diesel forecasts revised down
- Aston Martin mulls new factory location
- JLR confirms Brazil plant will assemble Evoque
- Prosecutors u-turn on Winterkorn probe
- Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport to debut at LA show
- Magna does deal to acquire Stadco
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE exhaust & emissions aftertreatment systems - forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electric motors market- forecasts to 2030