A tyre has been developed that indicates when it needs to be replaced due to tread erosion.
Designers Gao Fenglin and Zhou Buyi have been focussing on tyre wear indication technology. Their new creation 'Discolour Tyre' indicates when it needs to be replaced. The tyre includes a layer of bright orange rubber sitting beneath the conventional black top layer.
The bright under layer will show through after the tread is worn to a particular depth, thereby indicating a need for replacement.
Thanks to the bright colouring, drivers can detect even a minor insidious tear or leak. Fenglin and Buyi expect the tyre to cross 12,000 miles before the subdermal colour starts showing through.
Several patents have been submitted for advanced wear indicators. However, many of these plans have failed to materialise because of the costly production process and strict safety rules involved.
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS - Scion and Ford workers' chop
- Clio R.S. 220 Trophy & future Renaults
- January 2016, management briefing (Part 2)
- THE WEEK - New car, mergers, results, Iran
- Yanfeng Automotive Interiors VP Q&A
- New Ford plant for Mexico & Prius rival - report
- Daimler posts record sales – investors unimpressed
- Ford Europe looks to cut staff
- Geneva premieres list - Ferrari GTC4Lusso
- Volvo nixes range extenders