JAPAN: New Toyota Vitz fuel economy king
Toyota claims its redesigned Vitz (Yaris) compact car with 1.3-litre petrol engine and an idling-stop system to be launched in Japan later this month has achieved the highest-level fuel efficiency of 26.5km per litre.
This is the highest-level fuel efficiency for a petrol-powered vehicle apart from minicars and hybrids, according to the automaker.
The fuel efficiency of the current model equipped with a one-litre petrol engine and start-stop is 24.5km/litre.
Fuel efficiency of the Vitz's mainstay model equipped with a 1.3-liter engine without start-stop system is also improved by 4 km to 24 km per litre.
The new Vitz line will continue to qualify for tax breaks for the purchase of environmentally friendly cars. It was first launched in 1999.
There was a time not so very long ago when Toyota's financial results were pretty predictable....
Total Japanese output at the eight major automakers last plunged 60.1% year on year as the 11 March earthquake/tsunami forced them to suspend production....
Despite an expected loss of share that boosted the Detroit 3 and Koreans in May, analysts at Edmunds.com believe that the worst may be over for the Japanese OEMs recovering from the post-'quake supply...
With more than 1,000 incidents reported a year of motorists driving the wrong way and against the flow of traffic, Toyota has come up with a solution, co-developed with Denso and Aisin AW....
PT. Toyota Motor Manufacturing Indonesia (TMMIN) has just revealed plans to lift the capacity of its Karawang Plant from 100,000 vehicles per annum to 140,000 by early 2013....
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- PSA issues new business plan
- NYIAS DEBUTS: Multiple updates after 1st Media Day
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM HR and comms chiefs quit
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global electrified light vehicles market 2007 to 2018