MEXICO: New Audi plant to cost $2bn
There were no other details in a Reuters report.
Audi had said in January it would not make a decision on whether to produce cars in the US before 2015 and would increase capacity at existing sites, such as Gyor in Hungary, until then.
However, an Audi statement said the exact location for the new plant, which will manufacture an SUV model starting in 2016, would be chosen later this year.
“As an established carmaking location, Mexico offers an excellent economic basis for Audi production operations,” said chairman Rupert Stadler.
The group parent Volkswagen already has an automotive plant in Puebla and an engine plant in Silao.
“Good infrastructure, competitive cost structures and existing free trade agreements played a significant role in the choice of Mexico,” said Stadler.
Regarding location, HR chief Thomas Sigi said: “The factors that we will take into account include not just the specifics of the real estate and its logistical links." He also cited quality of life as a decisive criterion. “It is important for us to be able to find well-qualified employees there,” referring to the need for an effective infrastructure of schools and universities.
The fragility of the automotive supply chain has been highlighted by natural disasters, particularly in Asia over the past 18 months. This month's management briefing considers how fragile the supply ...
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
Long awaited and successively postponed, details of the new Brazilian automotive regime for the five years from 1 January, 2013 to 31 December 2017 have finally been announced....
The Volkswagen supervisory board, due to meet on 23 November, might delay approving new SUVs from Bentley and Lamborghini, according to Reuters, citing unnamed sources....
The importance of Volkswagen Group-owned Bentley introducing a third model alongside the Continental GT and Mulsanne is to give stability to its product lifecycle, said Geoff Dowding, regional directo...
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Suzuki's new brand flagship - Vitara
- Geneva show list updated
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- Audi plots 2020 expansion strategy
- GENEVA DEBUTS: Audi Q7 e-tron to be a diesel PHEV
- BMW 2 Series Convertible launched
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)