MEXICO: New Audi plant to cost $2bn
There were no other details in a Reuters report.
Audi had said in January it would not make a decision on whether to produce cars in the US before 2015 and would increase capacity at existing sites, such as Gyor in Hungary, until then.
However, an Audi statement said the exact location for the new plant, which will manufacture an SUV model starting in 2016, would be chosen later this year.
“As an established carmaking location, Mexico offers an excellent economic basis for Audi production operations,” said chairman Rupert Stadler.
The group parent Volkswagen already has an automotive plant in Puebla and an engine plant in Silao.
“Good infrastructure, competitive cost structures and existing free trade agreements played a significant role in the choice of Mexico,” said Stadler.
Regarding location, HR chief Thomas Sigi said: “The factors that we will take into account include not just the specifics of the real estate and its logistical links." He also cited quality of life as a decisive criterion. “It is important for us to be able to find well-qualified employees there,” referring to the need for an effective infrastructure of schools and universities.
The fragility of the automotive supply chain has been highlighted by natural disasters, particularly in Asia over the past 18 months. This month's management briefing considers how fragile the supply ...
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
Long awaited and successively postponed, details of the new Brazilian automotive regime for the five years from 1 January, 2013 to 31 December 2017 have finally been announced....
The Volkswagen supervisory board, due to meet on 23 November, might delay approving new SUVs from Bentley and Lamborghini, according to Reuters, citing unnamed sources....
The importance of Volkswagen Group-owned Bentley introducing a third model alongside the Continental GT and Mulsanne is to give stability to its product lifecycle, said Geoff Dowding, regional directo...
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Toyota Prius added
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- BMW launches smartphone wireless charging
- Uber hires car hacking engineers
- Suzuki-VW dispute over
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020