MEXICO: New Audi plant to cost $2bn
There were no other details in a Reuters report.
Audi had said in January it would not make a decision on whether to produce cars in the US before 2015 and would increase capacity at existing sites, such as Gyor in Hungary, until then.
However, an Audi statement said the exact location for the new plant, which will manufacture an SUV model starting in 2016, would be chosen later this year.
“As an established carmaking location, Mexico offers an excellent economic basis for Audi production operations,” said chairman Rupert Stadler.
The group parent Volkswagen already has an automotive plant in Puebla and an engine plant in Silao.
“Good infrastructure, competitive cost structures and existing free trade agreements played a significant role in the choice of Mexico,” said Stadler.
Regarding location, HR chief Thomas Sigi said: “The factors that we will take into account include not just the specifics of the real estate and its logistical links." He also cited quality of life as a decisive criterion. “It is important for us to be able to find well-qualified employees there,” referring to the need for an effective infrastructure of schools and universities.
The fragility of the automotive supply chain has been highlighted by natural disasters, particularly in Asia over the past 18 months. This month's management briefing considers how fragile the supply ...
A final update of just-auto's list of concepts and production models which made their debuts at the Los Angeles auto show's 28 & 29 November press days....
Long awaited and successively postponed, details of the new Brazilian automotive regime for the five years from 1 January, 2013 to 31 December 2017 have finally been announced....
The Volkswagen supervisory board, due to meet on 23 November, might delay approving new SUVs from Bentley and Lamborghini, according to Reuters, citing unnamed sources....
The importance of Volkswagen Group-owned Bentley introducing a third model alongside the Continental GT and Mulsanne is to give stability to its product lifecycle, said Geoff Dowding, regional directo...
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT: Review of front-end modules
- Briefing: Active safety systems
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- UK auto sector delivering on growth
- Infrastructure and logistics make Brazil costly
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)