DETROIT: MINI to spread more production outside UK
The problem is that as the family grows it is running out of space at home.
Plant Oxford, as BMW calls it, on what remains of the the former Morris/British Leyland/Rover Group Cowley site, is close to full capacity and there is no more room to expand, said Harald Kruger, the BMW executive in charge of both MINI and Rolls-Royce.
Production of some models will be moved later this year to contract assembler Nedcar in Holland, which has plenty of spare capacity.
Kruger said: "We have not decided yet which models we will produce in Holland but we definitely need the additional production capacity."
The Dutch plant, originally built by DAF, has produced Volvo and Mitsubishi cars in the past but faced an uncertain future after the Japanese company's recent decision to pull out - selling the plant for EUR1 - but now BMW has stepped in.
MINI already has other contract production outside the UK at Magna Steyr in Austria which builds the Countryman and new Paceman.
Kruger said the brand will continue to use contract assemblers to make up production volume.
"It gives us the necessary flexibility to increase or decrease production and move model lines around if necessary," he added. "It also makes more sense than investing in new facilities around the world.
"Production capacity is something we have to monitor all the time because of the success of cars globally but Oxford will always be the home of MINI."
Kruger added the US is now MINI's largest market. It sold 66,000 models there last year. The UK is second at 51,000 followed by Germany at 37,000. Coming up fast on the rails, however, is China with 23,000 sales in 2012.
Motorcycle Manufacturing in Germany industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The pro...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
Car Manufacturing in Germany industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). ...
Only weeks after launching the new, locally made EcoSport compact crossover in India, Ford has recalled almost 1,000 units to check for a potential problem with the glow plug module used to help start...
Car Manufacturing in South Africa industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market share, market size (value and volume 2007-11, and forecast to 20...
Tata Group's Jaguar Land Rover has created two new roles on its executive committee to support an increased focus on research and development and to help develop new products....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- 2014 BEIJING SHOW: Hyundai ix25 global debut
- Tata restructuring production at all plants
- MG reveals concept EV
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Traffic Sign Recognition System Trends