SOUTH AFRICA: Mercedes starts recruitment drive for 2014 C-class
Mercedes-Benz South Africa is looking for an additional 600 employees in preparation for the start of production of the new C-Class, which it will build in East London from 2014.
MBSA exports the bulk of its output (LHD) to the US, with the balance (RHD) being sold locally. However, its parent company, Daimler, is upgrading its SUV factory in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, so it can manufacture the next generation C-Class for North America.
Daimler announced in 2009 that the 2014 C-Class would be built in four locations: Beijing, Bremen, Tuscaloosa and East London which will likely switch its export focus back to the right hand drive markets of Japan and Australia it has served with previous generations.
MBSA said it would move to a three-shift model and the plant would operate 24 hours a day once production of the new C-Class is under way. With more complex technologies, existing staff are receiving extra training with many being sent to Germany for instruction.
There have been some cold winds blowing this week, literally and metaphorically. The metaphorical blasts are all too familiar and can be summed up in three words: problems in Europe....
Details of concepts and new models which made their global debuts at the Geneva motor show on media preview days 5 and 6 March....
Despite record automotive sales in 2012, Daimler net profit growth was secured mainly due to the sale of a stake in the EADS aerospace business. The company also fell short of its own targets for earn...
GAZ Group - part of Russian Machines and Basic Element - says it made the right decision to axe its own passenger car production and concentrate on commercial vehicle manufacture and contract building...
Jatco has announced plans to invest US$220m to establish its second plant in Aguascalientes, Mexico. The new plant is scheduled to start production in the summer of 2014 with annual production capacit...
Mercedes-Benz has started the new year with record sales, boosted by strong demand in North America, Asia and Russia....
UK new car registrations rose 11.5% to 143,643 units in January, another positive result to contrast with markets elsewhere in Europe....
GAZ Group says it has "moved the needle twenty years" with the launch of Chevrolet's Aveo model for the Russian market....
- COMMENT: The diminution of Fiat
- COMMENT: BMW & Mercedes battle over self parking
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: 'Game changing' configurator
- RESEARCH SNAPSHOT: Review of front-end modules
- Q&A: Volvo XC90 chief engineer Håkan Ivarsson
- Arrested Toyota executive quits
- JUST THE FACTS: 2016 Audi A4 first look
- VW plans low cost car family
- UK auto sector delivering on growth
- Infrastructure and logistics make Brazil costly
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2029
- Magna International Inc. (MG) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle OE connectivity market- forecasts to 2029
- Global electric light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)