INDONESIA: Mercedes starts ML assembly
Mercedes Benz Indonesia has launched assembly of its ML350 SUV at its plant in Bogor, West Java.
Claus Weidner, chief executive of M-B Indonesia, said the new line was developed with an investment of up to US$38.41m.
"As we introduced the third generation of the M-class this June, we received a great response from customers. I am convinced that we've made the right decision to localise assembly for this model in Indonesia which will be of the same high quality and perfection as those produced in other countries."
Local SKD assembly will also allow Mercedes to offer competitive pricing. Under the current tax regime, the shift from the import of CBU to SKD allows a reduction in price as the manufacturer only pays import duty of 10%.
The Indonesian plant, which has been in operation since 1987, also assembles C-class, E-class and S-class model.
Engineering deputy director Ary Tjahyono said that, in the initial phase, the new assembly line would assemble three ML350s a day until the end of the year.
He added: “Next year, we will increase the utilisation rate of the line as we further assess the market's response to the ML."
With 3,700 sales last year, Mercedes dominated the total premium car market with a 53% share, according to the statistics of the Indonesian Automotive Industry Association (Gaikindo).
Indonesia's automobile industry is expecting annual car sales to hit 1m by the end of the month, with a total 1.1m estimated for the full year, an all-time high.
LMC Automotive's service provides customers with the very latest monthly estimates of passenger car production across all of Europe. Updated monthly and provided model-by-model, and available only via...
We live in strange times. As Fisker, a rival with supposedly superior range-extending technology falls apart, the value of Tesla rises yet again, this time by almost two percent on Wednesday to US$9.7...
Although the Chinese car market is expected to see growth of around 10% this year, prospects for premium brands have deteriorated as a result of the Chinese government's anti-corruption campaign, acco...
Echoing a similar model-sharing deal with the Renault-Nissan alliance in Europe, General Motors is to rebadge Nissan's NV200 van to sell in the US and Canada as the Chevrolet City Express....
- ANALYSIS: The models to be axed by PSA's Tavares
- Management briefing: UK engine manufacturing (1)
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Carlos sharpens the knife
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: The bubble car returns
- COMMENT: PSA's Tavares plots turnaround
- 2014 NYIAS: List of world premieres
- BEIJING DEBUTS: New Cruze, but old model to remain
- Discovery Sport to replace Land Rover's Freelander
- Former Bentley chief returns for another round
- GM CEO recall comments draw senator's retort
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Ford Motor Company - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Plunkett's Automobile Industry Almanac 2014: Automobile Industry Market Research, Statistics, Trends & Leading Companies
- Global light vehicle materials market 2008 to 2028