INDIA: Mercedes-Benz latest to mull price rises
Mercedes-Benz may have to raise prices in India because of the weakening rupee, which declined by more than 10% in the past month to trade at an all-time low of 60 against the US dollar.
If it raises prices it will be the latest in a line of OEMs who have increased car prices in India due to cost pressures.
Mercedes Benz India managing director and CEO Eberhard H Kern told PTI, "The rupee lost around 10% since last month against the euro and the dollar. For the time being we are safe. We follow a long-term hedging strategy. But if the rupee stays at this weak level, we have to look at our pricing... If you import your kits, parts or cars in euros or dollars and sell in rupees, there is pressure on pricing. Hedging does not last forever."
Kern also said the automaker intended to invest in expansion of its manufacturing plant at Chakan, Pune.
"We are investing an additional INR2.5bn (US$41.9m) into our production facility to double the capacity by next year. Today we have a capacity of 10,000 units a year, and from next year the available capacity will be 20,000 units," he said.
"[High interest rates are] hurting the overall auto industry, [but] Mercedes Benz belongs to a different class and will not [be affected]," added Kern.
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global automotive safety systems sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this...
It is estimated that the average car has around 80 electric motors - many due to motorists' insatiable demand for greater comfort and convenience. In a top-range Mercedes-Benz, for example, there are ...
Colombia Autos Report provides industry professionals and strategists, corporate analysts, auto associations, government departments and regulatory bodies with independent forecasts and competitive in...
Daimler is reportedly considering installing a new manufacturing plant in North America....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Suzuki's new brand flagship - Vitara
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- Geneva show list updated
- GENEVA DEBUTS: Audi Q7 e-tron to be a diesel PHEV
- Audi plots 2020 expansion strategy
- US: Cadillac's De Nysschen on future engine plans
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)