JAPAN: Mazda’s rotary power given new lease of life
Mazda will stop making its long-serving rotary engine this month but will use the technology as extended range power generation for electric vehicles, company president Takashi Yamanouchi told the Nikkei business daily.
The company plans to start leasing an extended range EV next year; it will use a rotary engine to generate power from hydrogen to extend the continuous driving distance of EVs, according to Nikkei.
"We should be able to make the most of the rotary engine's advantages, such as the ease of making it compact and safe," Yamanouchi said without giving further details.
Output in October by Japanese carmakers fell 48.9% year on year to 150,386 units as they suffered the fallout from the disputed Senkaku/Diaoyu islands in the East China Sea....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global electrified vehicles sector, major OEM developments, top 14 markets, technology trends and market projections. Use this ...
Mazda, already building a new plant in Mexico, could start assembling vehicles in Brazil to sidestep import restrictions due from 2015....
New to QUBE in the last quarter, this report has been extracted from QUBE and provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle Engine technologies sector, major suppliers, top markets, te...
Mazda's CX-5 compact crossover has claimed the 2012-13 Car of the Year Japan (JCOTY) title. The award, first given in 1980, is decided by a panel of 60 automotive journalists. Last year's winner was t...
Mazda sees recovery in the first quarter of next l year in the Chinese market for Japanese brands hit hard by anti-Japan sentiment in China....
Ford Motor is preparing to close its vehicle assembly plant in the Philippines in December 2012 with production for the ASEAN region being consolidated in Thailand and Malaysia....
Ford and Mazda are to spend an additional US$37.3m with their Chinese partner Changan on their engine plant venture....
- COMMENT: Tesla Model X - the elephant in the room
- Europe diesel forecasts revised down
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Volkswagen, diesel, recalls
- PSA Peugeot Citroen CEO Carlos Tavares interview
- COMMENT: Where will VW 'emissionsgate' end?
- Prosecutors u-turn on Winterkorn probe
- Volkswagen UK recalls 1.2m group diesels
- Tesla starts Model X deliveries
- New VW CEO replaces PR chief
- China cuts purchase tax on cars
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle electric motors market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle OE glazing market- forecasts to 2030