JAPAN: Mazda, Fiat sign agreement for Alfa Romeo roadster production
Spider Veloce was last Alfa Romeo roadster sold in US; the brand left in 1993. Fiat has said Alfa will return about 2014; the new roadster is surely in its planned model line.
The roadster will be based on the next generation MX-5 and developed for global sale.
"The agreement foresees for both Mazda and Fiat to develop two differentiated, distinctly styled, iconic and brand-specific roadsters featuring rear-wheel drive," Mazda said.
"The Mazda and Alfa Romeo variants will each be powered by specific proprietary engines unique to each brand.
"Through this contractual agreement, Mazda aims to enhance development and production efficiency and revitalise enthusiasm for open-top two-seater sports cars around the world."
Fiat said: "This collaboration will permit the company to deliver a modern interpretation of the classic Alfa Romeo roadster utilising the latest technical solutions, helping Alfa Romeo to achieve its stated goals by 2016."
You could have been forgiven for thinking just-auto had become an extension of the Toyota PR machine this week, given the number of stories about the automaker. Just the way it goes, some times....
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
GM and PSA Peugeot Citroen are reportedly working on a plan to sell delivery vans together in the US market, according to a report in a French newspaper....
Fiat said on Tuesday (9 July) it would spend EUR550m ($707.55m) to build light commercial vehicles in Italy over the next five years in the joint venture with PSA, which will spend EUR150m....
Mazda held a groundbreaking ceremony on Friday (5 July) at the construction site of its new transmission plant in Thailand's Chonburi province, Mazda Powertrain Manufacturing (Thailand) (MPMT)....
Mazda and its Chinese joint ventures sold 11,108 cars in the country in June, down 31.2% year on year, the said....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- COMMENT: TPP legacy as Obama's Grand Projet?
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart & VW Golf updates
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Jeep hacker resigns from Twitter - report
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030