CHINA: Market is now JLR’s number one
He told China Daily: “Two years ago when I came here, our business in China was not in the top five. Look at any business metric - China is (now) Number 1. Quite honestly, it has only just started, so there is still a lot of adventure up ahead."
Grace told the newspaper that JLR delivered about 60,000 Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles - solely imports - in China between January and October this year, up almost 90% year on year.
The company's full-year 2010 sales in China were around 26,000, rising to over 42,000 last year.
Grace said he has had more new experiences in his last 27 months in China than in all the rest of his career added together. He added that the luxury car market in the country will maintain strong growth next year, possibly doubling the estimated rate for the overall industry of 6-10%, with the luxury SUV segment growing even more.
JLR has launched an apprentice training programme in partnership with a local polytechnic school in Guangzhou. It has enrolled 40 students to train as auto technicians.
The company also has apprentice programs with local schools in Beijing, Shanghai and Xi'an, to train future technicians. By 2015, more than 450 students are expected to graduate from the programme and will receive priority in working at JLR dealerships across the country.
Grace said that JLR is expanding its presence in southern China which now accounts for nearly 14% of the company’s sales nationwide. And the number is expected to grow "quite significantly".
It has signed nearly 30 dealers in southern China, half of them now operational, with the rest to follow in the next six months.
JLR’s joint venture with domestic carmaker Chery, which plans to produce vehicles in Changshu, Jiangsu province, finally received approval from the National Development and Reform Commission last week.
The plant will have a designed capacity to make 130,000 vehicles and the same number of engines per year, according to the official announcement on the NDRC website.
Jaguar Land Rover has proved itself to be a strong and stable business in spite of the economic downturn, with good sales results in both developing and developed markets. Despite some difficult years...
The media days for the 2013 Frankfurt Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA) are 10 & 11 September. Each of the following vehicles is a world premiere at the show....
This QUBE report from just-auto provides a comprehensive overview of the global diesel technologies sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use this repor...
Tough trading conditions in Europe have put a dent in BMW's first quarter revenues and profit....
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- PARIS DEBUTS: Citroën & Lamborghini concepts
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar "takes over London" for XE reveal
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)