FRANCE: Major demonstration outside Goodyear site as Titan ends talks
Large-scale demonstations are taking place today (12 February) outside Goodyear's French headquarters at Rueil-Malmaison in Paris, as government sources confirmed US tyre manufacturer, Titan, had withdrawn from the Amiens site discussions.
Goodyear plans to close the factory with the potential loss of almost 1,200 jobs, a move that has incensed unions, notably the hardline CGT labour body, which previously noted the factory had been the subject of " a judicial battle for five years."
Following Titan's decision to abandon talks concerning the Amiens plant, French Economics Redevelopment Minister, Arnaud Montebourg, said the government has asked the Agence Francaise des Investissements Internationaux to look for a buyer.
"In a letter to the French government, the Titan group made it known it would not return to the negotiating table, concerning Goodyear's production site," said an Economic Redevelopment Ministry statement.
"The government has launched an active search for an alternative for Goodyear's Amiens Nord plant and its staff."
Pictures in France show a large demonstration today outside Goodyear's headquarters in France, accompanied by a significant police presence.
"There was a Works Council this morning [at Rueil-Malmaison]- discussions have started," a Goodyear spokeswoman told just-auto from France. "There was a demonstration by the CGT and other unions.
"The government simply announced Titan did not want to come back in a project to buy the plant. Goodyear has no comment on what the government said this morning."
Vehicle assembly in Colombia began in 1956 when the government signed an agreement to build Austin trucks locally. Colombian entrepreneurs soon saw the opportunity to invest in technology to be part o...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Automotive Aftermarket in US$ Billion by the following Product Segments: Mechanical Products, Electrical Products, Electronic Products, Exterior & Struct...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
Goodyear has reported what it says is record second quarter operating income of US428m, with accelerating growth in tyre unit volumes for the second half of 2013....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Commercial Vehicle Tire market to reach 1.81 billion units by 2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the steady economic growth in ...
France's government appears resigned to the closure of Goodyear's Amiens Nord site in the Picardy region, with the loss of up to 1,200 jobs....
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Tubeless Tire market in India to grow at a CAGR of 22.91 percent over the period 2012-2016. One of the key factors contributing to this market growth is the growing p...
TechNavio's analysts forecast the Global Tire market to grow at a CAGR of 5.01 percent over the period 2011-2015. One of the key factors for this growth is the growing Global Motorcycle market. The Gl...
- ANALYSIS: ZF puts in place a growth strategy
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Big fish eaten by bigger fish
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: MY2014 Peugeot 2008 1.2 VTi 82
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- PARIS DEBUTS: Kia Optima diesel hybrid concept
- ZF to buy TRW after $13.5bn deal agreed
- Largest Rolls-Royce order ever bound for Macau
- Jaguar launches India assembled XJ
- Alliance re-thinking EV battery strategy - report
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft (BMW) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn