FRANCE: Major demonstration outside Goodyear site as Titan ends talks
Large-scale demonstations are taking place today (12 February) outside Goodyear's French headquarters at Rueil-Malmaison in Paris, as government sources confirmed US tyre manufacturer, Titan, had withdrawn from the Amiens site discussions.
Goodyear plans to close the factory with the potential loss of almost 1,200 jobs, a move that has incensed unions, notably the hardline CGT labour body, which previously noted the factory had been the subject of " a judicial battle for five years."
Following Titan's decision to abandon talks concerning the Amiens plant, French Economics Redevelopment Minister, Arnaud Montebourg, said the government has asked the Agence Francaise des Investissements Internationaux to look for a buyer.
"In a letter to the French government, the Titan group made it known it would not return to the negotiating table, concerning Goodyear's production site," said an Economic Redevelopment Ministry statement.
"The government has launched an active search for an alternative for Goodyear's Amiens Nord plant and its staff."
Pictures in France show a large demonstration today outside Goodyear's headquarters in France, accompanied by a significant police presence.
"There was a Works Council this morning [at Rueil-Malmaison]- discussions have started," a Goodyear spokeswoman told just-auto from France. "There was a demonstration by the CGT and other unions.
"The government simply announced Titan did not want to come back in a project to buy the plant. Goodyear has no comment on what the government said this morning."
Vehicle assembly in Colombia began in 1956 when the government signed an agreement to build Austin trucks locally. Colombian entrepreneurs soon saw the opportunity to invest in technology to be part o...
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global light vehicle OE tyres sector, major suppliers, top markets, technology trends and market size forecasts. Use thi...
Goodyear has reported what it says is record second quarter operating income of US428m, with accelerating growth in tyre unit volumes for the second half of 2013....
France's government appears resigned to the closure of Goodyear's Amiens Nord site in the Picardy region, with the loss of up to 1,200 jobs....
- COMMENT: Volvo's US sales surge as China reverses
- COMMENT: Ford F-Series production soars
- China's economic turbulence worries auto industry
- Baking Kias at 45C
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Trouble in Tianjin
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: Audi SQ5 TDI plus added
- Land Rover develops 'see-through trailer' concept
- Jaguar Land Rover scraps Saudi plant plan
- Nissan allocates redesigned Juke to Sunderland
- Brazil Four losing sales faster than industry rate
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2030
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030
- Global heavy trucks market