JAPAN: Lithium battery JV plans 70% capacity hike
Japan's GS Yuasa Corp has said it will hike production capacity at its automotive lithium battery joint venture with Mitsubishi Corp and Mitsubishi Motors by 70% to meet booming orders.
The three partners in Lithium Energy will spend JPY20-30bn (US$260m to $390m) building a second factory that will be able to make 4.4m battery cells a year - enough to power 50,000 electric vehicles, a GS Yuasa spokesman told Reuters.
Auto makers have slashed electric vehicle prices as the cost of producing batteries falls, increasing demand for pure electric cars.
The new plant, to go online around 2014 in Shiga Prefecture, western Japan, would hike the joint venture's total output capacity to supply 120,000 electric vehicles a year.
Lithium Energy, which is building another factory to begin operations in April next year, is hurrying to meet demand from carmakers in Japan and Europe for zero-emission vehicles.
The joint venture now makes car batteries at small factories in Shiga Prefecture and Kyoto and has an annual output capacity for about 18,000 vehicles, expected to hit 70,000 units in April.
GS Yuasa holds 51% of Lithium Energy, while Mitsubishi Corp has a 41.9% stake and MMC 7.1%.
The final list of world premiere concepts and production models which appeared for the first time at the New York auto show's press days....
This QUBE report from just-auto report provides a comprehensive overview of the global electric vehicles and OE starter battery sector, major suppliers, top 14 markets, technology trends and market si...
Japanese car makers, trying to make up for production lost last year, boosted production at overseas plants by 25% to 1.37m units in February, the third consecutive month of year-on-year growth....
PSA Peugeot Citroen and Toyota - who have been building small cars together in the Czech Republic since 2002 - are discussing joint production at the Sevelnord plant in northern France, according to F...
Peugeot plans to start production of the 408 line at PSMA Rus, a Russian unit of the PSA Peugeot Citroen-Mitsubishi Motors alliance, in the Kaluga Region this year, the automaker told Prime News....
Like its PSA group sibling Citroen UK with the Mitsubishi i-MiEV-based C-Zero, Peugeot UK has slashed the price of its version, the i0n, to an identical GBP21,216 on the road (after the government's G...
Mitsubishi is to double production at its US factory in Illinois to 70,000 vehicles a year, according to the Japanese business daily Nikkei....
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: 2016 Land Rover Discovery & L462
- ANALYSIS: Mégane GT 220 & future Renaults
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Premium electric SUVs...
- Briefing: Innovative emission technologies
- ANALYSIS: Honda's BR-V could be The Next Big Thing
- UPDATED IAA debuts list: smart fortwo cabrio
- JLR expects "many" of 5,800 Tianjin cars damaged
- Ford may revive Bronco and Ranger for US - reports
- GM strike ends as Mercedes truck workers walk
- Wraps come off fourth generation Kia Sportage
- Automotive Plastics Market for Passenger Cars by Type, by Application, & by Region - Global Forecast to 2020
- Ford Motor Company (F) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- General Motors Company (GM) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Volkswagen AG - Strategy and SWOT Report
- Global light vehicle safety systems market- forecasts to 2030