RUSSIA: Light vehicle market up 11% to new record in 2012
The AEB has announced that the Russian light vehicle market grew by 11% last year to reach 2.94m units.
It also said that it expects the 2013 market to consolidate at a similar level.
Joerg Schreiber, Chairman of the AEB Automobile Manufacturers Committee commented: “December 2012 closed with a small improvement over the same month last year, bringing full year sales to a level of 2.935 million units, up 11% from 2011. This result established a new sales record for Russia, exceeding the previous peak level of 2.918 million units established in 2008 - if only by a narrow margin.
"The outlook for the market in 2013 holds little promise for a quick return to growth at the double-digit rates enjoyed in recent years. An AMC member poll of industry expectations for the current year resulted in a scope of +/- 5% around a median of 2.95 million sales of PC and LCV in Russia in 2013. This suggests the market will consolidate at or close to its current level – an assumption supported by the actual performance in the last couple of months.”
The AEB data also shows that market leader Lada (AvtoVAZ) continued to lose share in 2012 as consumers were attracted to locally assembled foreign brands.
Top ten brands
After it looked a bit like just-auto had become part of the global Toyota PR machine last week, this week, for a day or two at least, you could have been forgiven for thinking we had now 'crossed over...
Management reshuffle-the-deck at General Motors this week....
Renault Samsung Motors, which saw first half global sales plunge 29.3% to 58,705 units and domestic sales tumble 14.2% to make it the nation's smallest car maker behind SsangYong, has agreed a new pay...
General Motors' is to start sales and service of its top brand Chevrolet in Myanmar (once Burma) through a newly appointed local distributor....
The GM-Avtovaz joint venture in Russia said it built 27,097 in the first six months of 2013....
- Volvo UK specs up seven seat XC90 redesign
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes smart brand's last chance?
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: Hobnobbing with the A-listers
- Briefing: 48V mild hybrids (3)
- ANALYSIS: Suzuki's new brand flagship - Vitara
- Geneva show list updated
- UK: Aston Martin to reveal future models strategy
- GENEVA DEBUTS: Audi Q7 e-tron to be a diesel PHEV
- Audi plots 2020 expansion strategy
- Ricardo unveils new prototype electric motor
- Global light vehicle engine technologies market- forecasts to 2029
- Global vehicle lightweighting - technology, trends and the future
- LMC Automotive's European Passenger Car Production Estimates - Latest Monthly Update
- Global electrified light vehicles market- forecasts to 2018
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)