RUSSIA: Light vehicle market up 11% to new record in 2012
The AEB has announced that the Russian light vehicle market grew by 11% last year to reach 2.94m units.
It also said that it expects the 2013 market to consolidate at a similar level.
Joerg Schreiber, Chairman of the AEB Automobile Manufacturers Committee commented: “December 2012 closed with a small improvement over the same month last year, bringing full year sales to a level of 2.935 million units, up 11% from 2011. This result established a new sales record for Russia, exceeding the previous peak level of 2.918 million units established in 2008 - if only by a narrow margin.
"The outlook for the market in 2013 holds little promise for a quick return to growth at the double-digit rates enjoyed in recent years. An AMC member poll of industry expectations for the current year resulted in a scope of +/- 5% around a median of 2.95 million sales of PC and LCV in Russia in 2013. This suggests the market will consolidate at or close to its current level – an assumption supported by the actual performance in the last couple of months.”
The AEB data also shows that market leader Lada (AvtoVAZ) continued to lose share in 2012 as consumers were attracted to locally assembled foreign brands.
Top ten brands
After it looked a bit like just-auto had become part of the global Toyota PR machine last week, this week, for a day or two at least, you could have been forgiven for thinking we had now 'crossed over...
Management reshuffle-the-deck at General Motors this week....
Renault Samsung Motors, which saw first half global sales plunge 29.3% to 58,705 units and domestic sales tumble 14.2% to make it the nation's smallest car maker behind SsangYong, has agreed a new pay...
General Motors' is to start sales and service of its top brand Chevrolet in Myanmar (once Burma) through a newly appointed local distributor....
The GM-Avtovaz joint venture in Russia said it built 27,097 in the first six months of 2013....
- ANALYSIS: Mercedes-Benz future model plans
- THE WEEK THAT WAS: More musical chairs
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Porsche Panamera 4S
- COMMENT: Tesla's Musk talks a good game
- VEHICLE ANALYSIS: Vauxhall Adam Rocks Air
- BMW's MINI to stick to 2-plant assembly set-up
- Toyota considers the lure of Mexico
- PARIS DEBUTS: Ford S-MAX & Toyota C-HR concept
- Opel introduces Karl, Vauxhall revives Viva
- Visteon considers restructuring into two companies
- OLED Display Forecasts 2014-2024: The Rise of Plastic and Flexible Displays
- PLDB - vehicle cycle plan database (annual subscription)
- Global Carsharing Market 2014-2018
- Jaguar Land Rover: Providing remarkable growth throughout the economic downturn
- Global Automotive Suspension Systems Market 2014-2018